Adding features into zypper...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
44 messages Options
123
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Adding features into zypper...

Marco Calistri-3
Hello,

I was thinking on how it could be useful to have implemented also into
Tumbleweed functions similar as: "apt-get autoclean"  "apt-get
autoremove", in order to clean the repository cache and get rid of
unused installed packages.

If such features are already present in some way, please accept my
apologies and please point me on how I can use it on openSUSE TW.

Another appreciable feature to add IMHO, would be removing an entire
pattern, including all the packages belonging to it in just one step:

I.E.: "zypper rm Gnome" (obtaining as result the overall remotion of all
the gnome related packages, preserving in any case the system dependencies)


Cheers,
--
TThheerree''ss  aann  EEcchhoo  iinn  hheerree.
N�����r��y隊Z)z{.���r�+�맲��r��z�^�ˬz��N�(�֜��^� ޭ隊Z)z{.���r�+��0�����Ǩ�
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adding features into zypper...

Vojtěch Zeisek-2
Dne středa 26. dubna 2017 18:31:57 CEST, Marco Calistri napsal(a):

> Hello,
>
> I was thinking on how it could be useful to have implemented also into
> Tumbleweed functions similar as: "apt-get autoclean"  "apt-get
> autoremove", in order to clean the repository cache and get rid of
> unused installed packages.
>
> If such features are already present in some way, please accept my
> apologies and please point me on how I can use it on openSUSE TW.
>
> Another appreciable feature to add IMHO, would be removing an entire
> pattern, including all the packages belonging to it in just one step:
>
> I.E.: "zypper rm Gnome" (obtaining as result the overall remotion of all
> the gnome related packages, preserving in any case the system dependencies)
Try rpmorphan and in YaST SW management display package categories and see
unneeded and orphaned packages. Is it enough? :)

--
Vojtěch Zeisek

Komunita openSUSE GNU/Linuxu
Community of the openSUSE GNU/Linux

https://www.opensuse.org/
https://trapa.cz/

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adding features into zypper...

Marco Calistri-3


Il 26/04/2017 13:57, Vojtěch Zeisek ha scritto:

> Dne středa 26. dubna 2017 18:31:57 CEST, Marco Calistri napsal(a):
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was thinking on how it could be useful to have implemented also
>> into Tumbleweed functions similar as: "apt-get autoclean"
>> "apt-get autoremove", in order to clean the repository cache and
>> get rid of unused installed packages.
>>
>> If such features are already present in some way, please accept my
>> apologies and please point me on how I can use it on openSUSE TW.
>>
>> Another appreciable feature to add IMHO, would be removing an
>> entire pattern, including all the packages belonging to it in just
>> one step:
>>
>> I.E.: "zypper rm Gnome" (obtaining as result the overall remotion
>> of all the gnome related packages, preserving in any case the
>> system dependencies)
>
> Try rpmorphan and in YaST SW management display package categories
> and see unneeded and orphaned packages. Is it enough? :)

Never tested both,

I will give them a look.

Mni tks for the feedback!

Cheers,
--
TThheerree''ss  aann  EEcchhoo  iinn  hheerree.
N�����r��y隊Z)z{.���r�+�맲��r��z�^�ˬz��N�(�֜��^� ޭ隊Z)z{.���r�+��0�����Ǩ�
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adding features into zypper...

Stratos Zolotas
"zypper packages --orphaned" displays also orphaned packages

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 8:02 PM, Marco Calistri <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> Il 26/04/2017 13:57, Vojtěch Zeisek ha scritto:
>> Dne středa 26. dubna 2017 18:31:57 CEST, Marco Calistri napsal(a):
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I was thinking on how it could be useful to have implemented also
>>> into Tumbleweed functions similar as: "apt-get autoclean"
>>> "apt-get autoremove", in order to clean the repository cache and
>>> get rid of unused installed packages.
>>>
>>> If such features are already present in some way, please accept my
>>> apologies and please point me on how I can use it on openSUSE TW.
>>>
>>> Another appreciable feature to add IMHO, would be removing an
>>> entire pattern, including all the packages belonging to it in just
>>> one step:
>>>
>>> I.E.: "zypper rm Gnome" (obtaining as result the overall remotion
>>> of all the gnome related packages, preserving in any case the
>>> system dependencies)
>>
>> Try rpmorphan and in YaST SW management display package categories
>> and see unneeded and orphaned packages. Is it enough? :)
>
> Never tested both,
>
> I will give them a look.
>
> Mni tks for the feedback!
>
> Cheers,
> --
> TThheerree''ss  aann  EEcchhoo  iinn  hheerree.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adding features into zypper...

Anton Aylward-2
BEWARE ! ! !

None of these are to be used indiscriminately for wholesale removal!

The algorithm ONLY checks for these being at the end of some kind of dependency
tree.
Many should not be removed.

For example, the independently installed Adobe Reader from Xerox shows up, as do
many fonts and many icon sets.  While these can be removed without actually
triggering a cascade of other things, that doesn't mean the SHOULD be removed.

--
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
    Robert Heinlein (1907 - 1988), The Notebooks of Lazurus Long
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adding features into zypper...

Marco Calistri-3
In reply to this post by Stratos Zolotas
Il 26/04/2017 14:28, Stratos Zolotas ha scritto:

> "zypper packages --orphaned" displays also orphaned packages
>
> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 8:02 PM, Marco Calistri
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>
>> Il 26/04/2017 13:57, Vojtěch Zeisek ha scritto:
>>> Dne středa 26. dubna 2017 18:31:57 CEST, Marco Calistri
>>> napsal(a):
>>>> Hello,
>>>>
>>>> I was thinking on how it could be useful to have implemented
>>>> also into Tumbleweed functions similar as: "apt-get autoclean"
>>>> "apt-get autoremove", in order to clean the repository cache
>>>> and get rid of unused installed packages.
>>>>
>>>> If such features are already present in some way, please accept
>>>> my apologies and please point me on how I can use it on
>>>> openSUSE TW.
>>>>
>>>> Another appreciable feature to add IMHO, would be removing an
>>>> entire pattern, including all the packages belonging to it in
>>>> just one step:
>>>>
>>>> I.E.: "zypper rm Gnome" (obtaining as result the overall
>>>> remotion of all the gnome related packages, preserving in any
>>>> case the system dependencies)
>>>
>>> Try rpmorphan and in YaST SW management display package
>>> categories and see unneeded and orphaned packages. Is it enough?
>>> :)
>>
>> Never tested both,
>>
>> I will give them a look.
>>
>> Mni tks for the feedback!
>>
>> Cheers, -- TThheerree''ss  aann  EEcchhoo  iinn  hheerree.

Good to know!

Please evaluate also "missing points" by your Genius minds!

Regards,

--
TThheerree''ss  aann  EEcchhoo  iinn  hheerree.
N�����r��y隊Z)z{.���r�+�맲��r��z�^�ˬz��N�(�֜��^� ޭ隊Z)z{.���r�+��0�����Ǩ�
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adding features into zypper...

Anton Aylward-2
On 26/04/17 01:47 PM, Marco Calistri wrote:
>
> Please evaluate also "missing points" by your Genius minds!

What?  You means air-miles points?

Please elucidate.

--
Me...a skeptic?  I trust you can prove that.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adding features into zypper...

Ondřej Súkup
In reply to this post by Marco Calistri-3
I use this oneliner :  sudo zypper rm $(sudo zypper packages
--orphaned --unneeded | awk -F "|" '/^i/ {print $3}')

and afer clean run "zypper dup"

On 26 April 2017 at 19:47, Marco Calistri <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Il 26/04/2017 14:28, Stratos Zolotas ha scritto:
>> "zypper packages --orphaned" displays also orphaned packages
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 8:02 PM, Marco Calistri
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> Il 26/04/2017 13:57, Vojtěch Zeisek ha scritto:
>>>> Dne středa 26. dubna 2017 18:31:57 CEST, Marco Calistri
>>>> napsal(a):
>>>>> Hello,
>>>>>
>>>>> I was thinking on how it could be useful to have implemented
>>>>> also into Tumbleweed functions similar as: "apt-get autoclean"
>>>>> "apt-get autoremove", in order to clean the repository cache
>>>>> and get rid of unused installed packages.
>>>>>
>>>>> If such features are already present in some way, please accept
>>>>> my apologies and please point me on how I can use it on
>>>>> openSUSE TW.
>>>>>
>>>>> Another appreciable feature to add IMHO, would be removing an
>>>>> entire pattern, including all the packages belonging to it in
>>>>> just one step:
>>>>>
>>>>> I.E.: "zypper rm Gnome" (obtaining as result the overall
>>>>> remotion of all the gnome related packages, preserving in any
>>>>> case the system dependencies)
>>>>
>>>> Try rpmorphan and in YaST SW management display package
>>>> categories and see unneeded and orphaned packages. Is it enough?
>>>> :)
>>>
>>> Never tested both,
>>>
>>> I will give them a look.
>>>
>>> Mni tks for the feedback!
>>>
>>> Cheers, -- TThheerree''ss  aann  EEcchhoo  iinn  hheerree.
>
> Good to know!
>
> Please evaluate also "missing points" by your Genius minds!
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> TThheerree''ss  aann  EEcchhoo  iinn  hheerree.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adding features into zypper...

Nate Graham
In reply to this post by Stratos Zolotas


On 04/26/2017 11:28 AM, Stratos Zolotas wrote:
> "zypper packages --orphaned" displays also orphaned packages


$ zypper packages --orphaned
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
S | Repository | Name                  | Version     | Arch
--+------------+-----------------------+-------------+-------
i | @System    | SpiderOak             | 2:6.1.9-1   | x86_64
i | @System    | dropbox-servicemenu   | 0.16.1-2.14 | noarch
i | @System    | libqscintilla2-qt5-12 | 2.9.3-1.3   | x86_64
i | @System    | luckybackup           | 0.4.8-1.32  | x86_64


libqscintilla2-qt5 is probably a real orphan, but the remaining three
are packages I specifically installed myself from repos that are now
disabled. Is there a way to make it ignore packages that are orphaned
solely because their repo is disabled?

I really wish more software were available in the main repos...

Nate

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adding features into zypper...

Marco Calistri-3
In reply to this post by Ondřej Súkup
Noted!

Thanks,
Marco

Il 26/04/2017 15:25, Ondřej Súkup ha scritto:

> I use this oneliner :  sudo zypper rm $(sudo zypper packages
> --orphaned --unneeded | awk -F "|" '/^i/ {print $3}')
>
> and afer clean run "zypper dup"
>
> On 26 April 2017 at 19:47, Marco Calistri <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Il 26/04/2017 14:28, Stratos Zolotas ha scritto:
>>> "zypper packages --orphaned" displays also orphaned packages
>>>
>>> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 8:02 PM, Marco Calistri
>>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Il 26/04/2017 13:57, Vojtěch Zeisek ha scritto:
>>>>> Dne středa 26. dubna 2017 18:31:57 CEST, Marco Calistri
>>>>> napsal(a):
>>>>>> Hello,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I was thinking on how it could be useful to have
>>>>>> implemented also into Tumbleweed functions similar as:
>>>>>> "apt-get autoclean" "apt-get autoremove", in order to clean
>>>>>> the repository cache and get rid of unused installed
>>>>>> packages.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> If such features are already present in some way, please
>>>>>> accept my apologies and please point me on how I can use it
>>>>>> on openSUSE TW.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Another appreciable feature to add IMHO, would be removing
>>>>>> an entire pattern, including all the packages belonging to
>>>>>> it in just one step:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I.E.: "zypper rm Gnome" (obtaining as result the overall
>>>>>> remotion of all the gnome related packages, preserving in
>>>>>> any case the system dependencies)
>>>>>
>>>>> Try rpmorphan and in YaST SW management display package
>>>>> categories and see unneeded and orphaned packages. Is it
>>>>> enough? :)
>>>>
>>>> Never tested both,
>>>>
>>>> I will give them a look.
>>>>
>>>> Mni tks for the feedback!
>>>>
>>>> Cheers, -- TThheerree''ss  aann  EEcchhoo  iinn  hheerree.
>>
>> Good to know!
>>
>> Please evaluate also "missing points" by your Genius minds!
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> -- TThheerree''ss  aann  EEcchhoo  iinn  hheerree.
> .
>

--
TThheerree''ss  aann  EEcchhoo  iinn  hheerree.
N�����r��y隊Z)z{.���r�+�맲��r��z�^�ˬz��N�(�֜��^� ޭ隊Z)z{.���r�+��0�����Ǩ�
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adding features into zypper...

Marco Calistri-3
In reply to this post by Anton Aylward-2


Il 26/04/2017 15:23, Anton Aylward ha scritto:
> On 26/04/17 01:47 PM, Marco Calistri wrote:
>>
>> Please evaluate also "missing points" by your Genius minds!
>
> What?  You means air-miles points?
>
> Please elucidate.
>
:-O  These missing air-miles points:
apt-get autoremove && apt-get autoclean && "zypper rm Gnome" (to remove
entire Gnome DE with bells and whistles.
--
TThheerree''ss  aann  EEcchhoo  iinn  hheerree.
N�����r��y隊Z)z{.���r�+�맲��r��z�^�ˬz��N�(�֜��^� ޭ隊Z)z{.���r�+��0�����Ǩ�
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adding features into zypper...

Ondřej Súkup
In reply to this post by Nate Graham
On 26 April 2017 at 20:29, Nate Graham <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> On 04/26/2017 11:28 AM, Stratos Zolotas wrote:
>>
>> "zypper packages --orphaned" displays also orphaned packages
>
>
>
> $ zypper packages --orphaned
> Loading repository data...
> Reading installed packages...
> S | Repository | Name                  | Version     | Arch
> --+------------+-----------------------+-------------+-------
> i | @System    | SpiderOak             | 2:6.1.9-1   | x86_64
> i | @System    | dropbox-servicemenu   | 0.16.1-2.14 | noarch
> i | @System    | libqscintilla2-qt5-12 | 2.9.3-1.3   | x86_64
> i | @System    | luckybackup           | 0.4.8-1.32  | x86_64
>
>
> libqscintilla2-qt5 is probably a real orphan, but the remaining three are
> packages I specifically installed myself from repos that are now disabled.
> Is there a way to make it ignore packages that are orphaned solely because
> their repo is disabled?

 of course , packages without repository are set as @System repo and
considered orphaned

way is "zypper lock package"

> I really wish more software were available in the main repos...
>
> Nate
>
>
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adding features into zypper...

Anton Aylward-2
In reply to this post by Ondřej Súkup
On 26/04/17 02:25 PM, Ondřej Súkup wrote:
> I use this oneliner :  sudo zypper rm $(sudo zypper packages
> --orphaned --unneeded | awk -F "|" '/^i/ {print $3}')


OOH NASTY!

In my case that would remove:
flash-plugin
kabikaboo
lightzone
pdfgrep
Ruby/RubyTk

All of which I use.

Sorry, not acceptable.


--
"If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, then you will be hacked.
 What's more, you deserve to be hacked."
   -- Richard Clarke, the special adviser to the president on cybersecurity
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adding features into zypper...

Marco Calistri-3


Il 26/04/2017 16:14, Anton Aylward ha scritto:

> On 26/04/17 02:25 PM, Ondřej Súkup wrote:
>> I use this oneliner :  sudo zypper rm $(sudo zypper packages
>> --orphaned --unneeded | awk -F "|" '/^i/ {print $3}')
>
>
> OOH NASTY!
>
> In my case that would remove: flash-plugin kabikaboo lightzone
> pdfgrep Ruby/RubyTk
>
> All of which I use.
>
> Sorry, not acceptable.
>

We need definetely a "packages dependencies sensitive" easy and strict
way to do these operations on openSUSE, as we can do on Ubuntu with apt-get.

Regards,

--
TThheerree''ss  aann  EEcchhoo  iinn  hheerree.
N�����r��y隊Z)z{.���r�+�맲��r��z�^�ˬz��N�(�֜��^� ޭ隊Z)z{.���r�+��0�����Ǩ�
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adding features into zypper...

Neal Gompa
On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 3:22 PM, Marco Calistri <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> Il 26/04/2017 16:14, Anton Aylward ha scritto:
>> On 26/04/17 02:25 PM, Ondřej Súkup wrote:
>>> I use this oneliner :  sudo zypper rm $(sudo zypper packages
>>> --orphaned --unneeded | awk -F "|" '/^i/ {print $3}')
>>
>>
>> OOH NASTY!
>>
>> In my case that would remove: flash-plugin kabikaboo lightzone
>> pdfgrep Ruby/RubyTk
>>
>> All of which I use.
>>
>> Sorry, not acceptable.
>>
>
> We need definetely a "packages dependencies sensitive" easy and strict
> way to do these operations on openSUSE, as we can do on Ubuntu with apt-get.
>

DNF (used in Fedora) has the concept of marking packages as
"user-installed" so that actionable history commands and autoremove
won't remove them, even if nothing requires them.



--
真実はいつも一つ!/ Always, there's only one truth!
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adding features into zypper...

Anton Aylward-2
In reply to this post by Stratos Zolotas
On 26/04/17 01:28 PM, Stratos Zolotas wrote:
> "zypper packages --orphaned" displays also orphaned packages

No, not 'also'. Far from it.

That display packages for which there is no repository and hence there can be no
updates.

'rpmorphan" has an entirely different algorithm and display an entirely
different set.  It determines which packages have no other packages depending on
their installation.  Well, usually.  It isn't quite infallible, I've found.

And sometimes those 'terminal' nodes on the tree are actually programs that you
want to keep.  Feeding the *all* into "zypper rm" is a serious mistake.

--
Power, money, persuasion, supplication, persecution -- these can
lift at a colossal humbug--push it a little--weaken it a little
over the course of a century; but only laughter can blow it to
rags and atoms at a blast. Against the assault of laughter
nothing can stand.                              -- Mark Twain
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adding features into zypper...

Jan Engelhardt-4
In reply to this post by Neal Gompa
On Wednesday 2017-04-26 21:25, Neal Gompa wrote:
>>
>> We need definetely a "packages dependencies sensitive" easy and strict
>> way to do these operations on openSUSE, as we can do on Ubuntu with apt-get.
>
>DNF (used in Fedora) has the concept of marking packages as
>"user-installed" so that actionable history commands and autoremove
>won't remove them, even if nothing requires them.

So does zypper I believe - it needs to know this for when you use `zypper rm -u`.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adding features into zypper...

Jan Engelhardt-4
In reply to this post by Nate Graham

On Wednesday 2017-04-26 20:29, Nate Graham wrote:
>
> I really wish more software were available in the main repos...

Step up, become a package maintainer.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adding features into zypper...

Nate Graham
On 04/26/2017 02:19 PM, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>
> On Wednesday 2017-04-26 20:29, Nate Graham wrote:
>>
>> I really wish more software were available in the main repos...
>
> Step up, become a package maintainer.
>

So all of the software I would like to be in the main repo is already
available in various other OBS repos (KDE:Extra, devel:tools:ide,
graphics, etc.), with maintainers listed. Is it just a matter of asking
them to submit their packages to factory?

Nate

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adding features into zypper...

Luiz Fernando Ranghetti-2
2017-04-26 19:20 GMT-03:00 Nate Graham <[hidden email]>:

> On 04/26/2017 02:19 PM, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>>
>>
>> On Wednesday 2017-04-26 20:29, Nate Graham wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> I really wish more software were available in the main repos...
>>
>>
>> Step up, become a package maintainer.
>>
>
> So all of the software I would like to be in the main repo is already
> available in various other OBS repos (KDE:Extra, devel:tools:ide, graphics,
> etc.), with maintainers listed. Is it just a matter of asking them to submit
> their packages to factory?
>
> Nate
>

Probably yes!

Regards,

Luiz
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

123