Accessing Samsung S8

Koenraad Lelong
Hi,

My daughter has a new smartphone, a Samsung S8.
She want to transfer files to it, but it's not working.
Plugging in the phone in her laptop and setting the phone's
USB-properties to "file transfer" results in the phone being seen.
Unfortunately, from there on it fails. No way to access the phone.

Rather strange, on my own PC it works.
Both are running Leap 42.2.

I did a journlctl -f on my daughter's laptop. This is the result :

jan 05 23:03:04 julie-hp2 kernel: usb 1-3: new high-speed USB device
number 11 using xhci_hcd
jan 05 23:03:05 julie-hp2 kernel: usb 1-3: New USB device found,
idVendor=04e8, idProduct=6860
jan 05 23:03:05 julie-hp2 kernel: usb 1-3: New USB device strings:
Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
jan 05 23:03:05 julie-hp2 kernel: usb 1-3: Product: SAMSUNG_Android
jan 05 23:03:05 julie-hp2 kernel: usb 1-3: Manufacturer: SAMSUNG
jan 05 23:03:05 julie-hp2 kernel: usb 1-3: SerialNumber: xxxx
jan 05 23:03:05 julie-hp2 kernel: cdc_acm 1-3:1.1: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
jan 05 23:03:26 julie-hp2 ModemManager[1173]: <info>  Creating modem
with plugin 'Generic' and '1' ports
jan 05 23:03:26 julie-hp2 ModemManager[1173]: <warn>  (ttyACM0) could
not open serial device (2)
jan 05 23:03:26 julie-hp2 ModemManager[1173]: <info>  Modem for device
at '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-3' successfully created
jan 05 23:03:26 julie-hp2 ModemManager[1173]: <warn>  Couldn't start
initialization: Couldn't open ports during modem initialization:
Couldn't open primary port: Could not open serial device ttyACM0: No
such file or directory
jan 05 23:03:26 julie-hp2 kernel: usb 1-3: USB disconnect, device number 11
jan 05 23:03:26 julie-hp2 kernel: cdc_acm 1-3:1.1: failed to set dtr/rts
jan 05 23:03:26 julie-hp2 ModemManager[1173]: <warn>  couldn't
initialize the modem: 'Modem is unusable, cannot fully initialize'
jan 05 23:03:26 julie-hp2 ModemManager[1173]: <info>  (tty/ttyACM0):
released by modem /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-3
jan 05 23:03:26 julie-hp2 kernel: usb 1-3: new high-speed USB device
number 12 using xhci_hcd
jan 05 23:03:26 julie-hp2 kernel: usb 1-3: New USB device found,
idVendor=04e8, idProduct=6860
jan 05 23:03:26 julie-hp2 kernel: usb 1-3: New USB device strings:
Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
jan 05 23:03:26 julie-hp2 kernel: usb 1-3: Product: SAMSUNG_Android
jan 05 23:03:26 julie-hp2 kernel: usb 1-3: Manufacturer: SAMSUNG
jan 05 23:03:26 julie-hp2 kernel: usb 1-3: SerialNumber: xxxx
jan 05 23:03:26 julie-hp2 kernel: cdc_acm 1-3:1.1: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
jan 05 23:03:45 julie-hp2 ModemManager[1173]: <info>  Creating modem
with plugin 'Generic' and '1'

Any hints to solve this ? Googling was no help, but maybe I'm not giving
the right question.
I thought usb_modeswitch would to the trick, but on both laptops it's
installed, and the conf-file in /etc is the same. Or should I look
elsewhere ? It's a long time since I needed usb_modeswitch, I can't
remember what I did when I needed it.

TIA,

Koenraad.

Re: Accessing Samsung S8

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Koenraad Lelong <[hidden email]> [01-05-18 09:51]:
 [...]
> My daughter has a new smartphone, a Samsung S8.
> She want to transfer files to it, but it's not working.
> Plugging in the phone in her laptop and setting the phone's USB-properties
> to "file transfer" results in the phone being seen. Unfortunately, from
> there on it fails. No way to access the phone.
>
> Rather strange, on my own PC it works.
> Both are running Leap 42.2.

I tend to use bluetooth and/or kdeconnect for file transfer for my s7,
neither of which requires wired connection.

also free AirDroid works quite well.

Re: Accessing Samsung S8

Mike Henry
On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 12:32 PM, Patrick Shanahan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * Koenraad Lelong <[hidden email]> [01-05-18 09:51]:
>  [...]
>> My daughter has a new smartphone, a Samsung S8.
>> She want to transfer files to it, but it's not working.
>> Plugging in the phone in her laptop and setting the phone's USB-properties
>> to "file transfer" results in the phone being seen. Unfortunately, from
>> there on it fails. No way to access the phone.
>>
>> Rather strange, on my own PC it works.
>> Both are running Leap 42.2.
>
> I tend to use bluetooth and/or kdeconnect for file transfer for my s7,
> neither of which requires wired connection.
>
> also free AirDroid works quite well.
>
> --
> (paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA          @ptilopteri
> http://en.opensuse.org    openSUSE Community Member    facebook/ptilopteri
> Registered Linux User #207535                    @ http://linuxcounter.net
> Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo               paka @ IRCnet freenode

+1 To KDE Connect, the universal clipboard is a killer feature. File
transfer is great to.

Re: Accessing Samsung S8

John Andersen-2
On 01/05/2018 06:50 AM, Koenraad Lelong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My daughter has a new smartphone, a Samsung S8.
> She want to transfer files to it, but it's not working.
> Plugging in the phone in her laptop and setting the phone's USB-properties to "file transfer"
> results in the phone being seen. Unfortunately, from there on it fails. No way to access the phone.

Did your daughter use to own an iPhone?
I ask, because cabling your android to any computer is virtually unheard of, but its an old Apple
requirement.  Even if you do cable it, it often ends up being an MTP connection only.

Any of a half dozen file managers (most free from the app store) can allow this access via wifi,
using ssh, sftp, samba, as well as Google drive, dropbox one drive Yandex, owncloud etc.  Enough to
access just about any computer local or remote.

(I'd recommend Solid Explorer or - distant second -, ES File Explorer).

Also +1 for Kdeconnect.
The only down side to Kdeconnect is that the client side gets out of sync (more up to date)
than the server side on Linux, because updates through the app store occur more frequently
than Opensuse makes KDE updates available.
And of course KDE Connect only works on Linux.

Long story short:  Forget about the that cable.  Its just for charging.

Re: Accessing Samsung S8

Re: Accessing Samsung S8

Wol's lists
On 05/01/18 20:19, John Andersen wrote:
> Did your daughter use to own an iPhone?
> I ask, because cabling your android to any computer is virtually unheard of, but its an old Apple
> requirement.  Even if you do cable it, it often ends up being an MTP connection only.

Why then have I always used a cable? And my attempts to use anything
else have always been a bit of a disaster ...

> Any of a half dozen file managers (most free from the app store) can allow this access via wifi,
> using ssh, sftp, samba, as well as Google drive, dropbox one drive Yandex, owncloud etc.  Enough to
> access just about any computer local or remote.

Cloud storage :-( NO THANKS! I was shocked (and upset) to discover that
Google had uploaded (and deleted from local storage!!!) all the photos
on my phone! Oh - and it's pretty clear that when I downloaded them back
from Google Photos, they had been modified!!! One thing I do NOT do with
my photos is modify the originals!!!

Solid Explorer sounded great ... until I took a look :-( What I want is
easy file transfer - and having to do it all on a small touchscreen
sounds like a nightmare. I like my connections to be bi-directional, and
when downloading from my phone I always work with a big screen and a
keyboard and mouse.

Cheers,
Wol

Re: Accessing Samsung S8

Christopher Myers-2

On Fri, 2018-01-05 at 21:28 +0000, Wol's lists wrote:

> On 05/01/18 20:19, John Andersen wrote:
> > Did your daughter use to own an iPhone?
> > I ask, because cabling your android to any computer is virtually
> > unheard of, but its an old Apple
> > requirement.  Even if you do cable it, it often ends up being an
> > MTP connection only.
> >

> Why then have I always used a cable? And my attempts to use anything
> else have always been a bit of a disaster ...
>
> > Any of a half dozen file managers (most free from the app store)
> > can allow this access via wifi,
> > using ssh, sftp, samba, as well as Google drive, dropbox one drive
> > Yandex, owncloud etc.  Enough to
> > access just about any computer local or remote.
>
> Cloud storage :-( NO THANKS! I was shocked (and upset) to discover
> that
> Google had uploaded (and deleted from local storage!!!) all the
> photos
> on my phone! Oh - and it's pretty clear that when I downloaded them
> back
> from Google Photos, they had been modified!!! One thing I do NOT do
> with
> my photos is modify the originals!!!
>
> Solid Explorer sounded great ... until I took a look :-( What I want
> is
> easy file transfer - and having to do it all on a small touchscreen
> sounds like a nightmare. I like my connections to be bi-directional,
> and
> when downloading from my phone I always work with a big screen and a
> keyboard and mouse.
>
> Cheers,
> Wol

Nextcloud is pretty slick; you can set up their (free) app to
automatically sync various folders from your phone to your server over
wifi. I had it do that with my pictures and videos every night when I'd
plug it in to charge.
N�����r��y隊Z)z{.�ﮞ˛���m�)z{.��+�:�{Zr�az�'z��j)h���Ǿ� ޮ�^�ˬz��

Re: Accessing Samsung S8

John Andersen-2
On 01/05/2018 01:28 PM, Wol's lists wrote:

> On 05/01/18 20:19, John Andersen wrote:
>> Did your daughter use to own an iPhone?
>> I ask, because cabling your android to any computer is virtually unheard of, but its an old Apple
>> requirement.  Even if you do cable it, it often ends up being an MTP connection only.
>>
> Why then have I always used a cable? And my attempts to use anything else have always been a bit of
> a disaster ...
>
>> Any of a half dozen file managers (most free from the app store) can allow this access via wifi,
>> using ssh, sftp, samba, as well as Google drive, dropbox one drive Yandex, owncloud etc.  Enough to
>> access just about any computer local or remote.
>
> Cloud storage :-( NO THANKS! I was shocked (and upset) to discover that Google had uploaded (and
> deleted from local storage!!!) all the photos on my phone! Oh - and it's pretty clear that when I
> downloaded them back from Google Photos, they had been modified!!! One thing I do NOT do with my
> photos is modify the originals!!!

Nobody said you HAD to use cloud storage.  Or were you just looking for a reason to rant?
And to blame that on your failure to read the directions is a bit over the top don't you think?

> Solid Explorer sounded great ... until I took a look :-( What I want is easy file transfer - and
> having to do it all on a small touchscreen sounds like a nightmare. I like my connections to be
> bi-directional, and when downloading from my phone I always work with a big screen and a keyboard
> and mouse.

First of all, this was addressed to Koenraad, and what YOU wanted was the farthest thing from
my mind.

Most people want to do this from the phone, because that is what they have in their hand
most of the time when they want to move pictures or music.  They don't want to get up, go to
the computer, find their charge cord and cable in.

Solid Explorer and ES Explorer (and others) offers FTP/sftp server for the phone side as well.
I can't even

Re: Accessing Samsung S8

Wol's lists
On 05/01/18 21:50, Christopher Myers wrote:
> Nextcloud is pretty slick; you can set up their (free) app to
> automatically sync various folders from your phone to your server over
> wifi. I had it do that with my pictures and videos every night when I'd
> plug it in to charge.

That sounds a lot better ...

Only snag at the moment is my server is running (rather outdated)
gentoo, and I have no plans to upgrade it until my new system is up.

(I can't really upgrade the old system because (a) replacing KDE4 is
going to cause massive marital grief if I don't get the replacement
fight first time, and (b) the hardware isn't reliable running gcc so the
upgrade could take days :-)

So I'll have to configure it on the new system and see how it goes :-)

Cheers,
Wol

Re: Accessing Samsung S8

Wol's lists
On 05/01/18 22:07, John Andersen wrote:
>> Cloud storage:-(  NO THANKS! I was shocked (and upset) to discover that Google had uploaded (and
>> deleted from local storage!!!) all the photos on my phone! Oh - and it's pretty clear that when I
>> downloaded them back from Google Photos, they had been modified!!! One thing I do NOT do with my
>> photos is modify the originals!!!

> Nobody said you HAD to use cloud storage.  Or were you just looking for a reason to rant?
> And to blame that on your failure to read the directions is a bit over the top don't you think?

As far as I was aware I *wasn't* using cloud storage!

I'd stuck a micro-SD card in the phone, and tried to configure the
camera app to use it. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING led me to believe the camera
app would use the cloud instead of local storage.

Oh - and where would I find such directions? It's rather noticeable that
most modern electronic gizmos (a) come with almost no documentation, and
(b) finding such documentation is usually a lot of work (that's if you
succeed).

Cheers,
Wol

Re: Accessing Samsung S8

John Andersen-2
On 01/05/2018 01:08 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> Why? I use the USB cable pretty often for transferring files and it simply
> works, with several Android devices of different brands. After all, WiFi
> is often very slow.

Your wifi is slow perhaps.
I don't find this to be a problem. The phone only has 32 gig of storage. I won't be transferring much.

Browsing it with KDE Connect seems like local storage.  Fast.

Finding the proper cord is a problem. I have three different varieties to deal with.
Then there are some devices that are MTP ONLY, just when you wanted to transfer something
else.

Cables are old school, and not more reliable than bluetooth or wifi.
Heck, all this time I thought I was set in my ways.

Re: Accessing Samsung S8

John Andersen-2
On 01/05/2018 02:15 PM, Wol's lists wrote:
> I'd stuck a micro-SD card in the phone, and tried to configure the camera app to use it. ABSOLUTELY
> NOTHING led me to believe the camera app would use the cloud instead of local storage.

Do you have any random teenager around your house who could help you out with this?

Re: Accessing Samsung S8

Wol's lists
On 05/01/18 22:20, John Andersen wrote:
> On 01/05/2018 02:15 PM, Wol's lists wrote:

>> I'd stuck a micro-SD card in the phone, and tried to configure the camera app to use it. ABSOLUTELY
>> NOTHING led me to believe the camera app would use the cloud instead of local storage.
>
> Do you have any random teenager around your house who could help you out with this?

Only if they understand NewSpeak. I didn't realise Google had redefined
the word "sync" to mean "mangle and delete".

Cheers,
Wol

Re: Accessing Samsung S8

Re: Accessing Samsung S8

James Knott
On 01/05/2018 05:32 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> I use "ES File Explorer" (which I dislike since it changed hands and now
> has very intrusive ads; however, it works).

It used to be good, but I deleted it as "crapware".

Re: Accessing Samsung S8

On Friday, 2018-01-05 at 14:16 -0800, John Andersen wrote:

> On 01/05/2018 01:08 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> Why? I use the USB cable pretty often for transferring files and it simply
>> works, with several Android devices of different brands. After all, WiFi
>> is often very slow.
>

> Your wifi is slow perhaps.

No, it is the phone WiFi which is slower than the AP.

> I don't find this to be a problem. The phone only has 32 gig of storage. I won't be transferring much.

I transfer movies to my tablet for watching in bed.

> Browsing it with KDE Connect seems like local storage.  Fast.
>
> Finding the proper cord is a problem. I have three different varieties to deal with.

I have adequate cables hanging from a hook by the computer rack, properly
labelled. And I keep one or two on the case of the laptop.

> Then there are some devices that are MTP ONLY, just when you wanted to transfer something
> else.

My phone does MTP and works fine to transfer files. Even on the CLI:

cer@Telcontar:~> l /run/user/1000/gvfs/mtp\:host\=%5Busb%3A007%2C008%5D/
total 0
dr-x------ 1 cer users 0 Jan  1  1970 ./
dr-x------ 3 cer users 0 Dec 21 13:04 ../
drwx------ 1 cer users 0 Jan  1  1970 Almacenamiento interno compartido/
cer@Telcontar:~> l /run/user/1000/gvfs/mtp\:host\=%5Busb%3A007%2C008%5D/Almacenamiento\ interno\ compartido/
total 209
drwx------ 1 cer users      0 Jan  1  1970 ./
dr-x------ 1 cer users      0 Jan  1  1970 ../
drwx------ 1 cer users      0 Oct 25  2016 .VRS/
drwx------ 1 cer users      0 Sep  5 08:25 .backups/
drwx------ 1 cer users      0 Dec 30 18:47 .estrongs/
drwx------ 1 cer users      0 Nov 28  2015 .org.ebookdroid/
- -rw------- 1 cer users     72 Jan  5 22:48 .userReturn
drwx------ 1 cer users      0 Jan  1  2016 AccuWeather/
drwx------ 1 cer users      0 Jul 16  2015 Alarms/
drwx------ 1 cer users      0 Nov 28  2015 Android/
drwx------ 1 cer users      0 Nov 28  2015 DCIM/

> Cables are old school, and not more reliable than bluetooth or wifi.
> Heck, all this time I thought I was set in my ways.

I use both methods as the whim takes me :-)

Re: Accessing Samsung S8

Re: Accessing Samsung S8

Re: Accessing Samsung S8

Fraser_Bell
On 01/05/2018 06:50 AM, Koenraad Lelong wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My daughter has a new smartphone, a Samsung S8.
> She want to transfer files to it, but it's not working.
> Plugging in the phone in her laptop and setting the phone's
> USB-properties to "file transfer" results in the phone being seen.
> Unfortunately, from there on it fails. No way to access the phone.
>
> Rather strange, on my own PC it works.
> Both are running Leap 42.2.

Use Paul Lutus' SSHelper on the device, connect wireless and use sshfs.

https://arachnoid.com/android/SSHelper/

Slick as can be.

--
-Gerry Makaro
aka Fraser_Bell on the forums, IRC, and mail at openSUSE.org

Re: Accessing Samsung S8

John Andersen-2
On 01/05/2018 02:45 PM, James Knott wrote:
> On 01/05/2018 05:32 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> I use "ES File Explorer" (which I dislike since it changed hands and now
>> has very intrusive ads; however, it works).
>
> It used to be good, but I deleted it as "crapware".

Exactly.  I had the paid version, and they horked it up badly.

I've now switched to Solid Explorer.  Yes I paid him the *two bucks* it costs
to shut off advertising.    Its way easier to use and understand.

(I had also paid for the ad-free ES File Explorer.).

You guys whining about ads:
would it kill you to open your wallet for Pete sake?

But for Linux access, I really do have to recommend KDE Connect.