About packaging chef for openSUSE and SLE12/12, systemsmanagement:chef:* and multiple ruby's

About packaging chef for openSUSE and SLE12/12, systemsmanagement:chef:* and multiple ruby's

Johannes Kastl-2
Hi everyone,

because I needed to play around with chef for work I looked for
packages for openSUSE and SLE11/12 (to avoid installing a 200MB rpm
that installs about 60000 files, various rubygems and what else and
cannot be easily update, as there is no repo, but that is another story).

I found some odd things (and please, this should not be meant as
negative or destructive or as a rant, that is not my intention).

I found systemsmanagement:chef:12, which packages Chef 12 and all its
dependecies (rubygems, mostly). But as Chef 12 has a dependency on
ruby2.2, it builds for only Tumbleweed.

systemsmanagement:chef:master has a broken link, as apparently the
package in factory got removed.
I issued an SR to delete and relink it:

I looked in d:l:r:e and found most of the stuff needed for chef, as
well as chef 13. As this version has a dependency on ruby2.3, it does
not build for any of the build targets in d:l:r:e.

I went ahead and tried to build it myself, and although I had little
understanding of ruby (as can be seen on the packaging list) and the
ruby-related documentation sucks^W leaves room for improvement, I got
most of it working. I added newer ruby version and somehow got gem2rpm
to build, and after that most stuff builds (and, as far as I have
tested it, works).

home:ojkastl_buildservice:Chef_12_SLES_12
home:ojkastl_buildservice:Chef_13_SLES_12
home:ojkastl_buildservice:Chef_12_openSUSE (42.2/42.2/42.3/TW)
home:ojkastl_buildservice:Chef_13_openSUSE (42.2/42.2/42.3/TW)

I issued several SRs to update versions or add new packages or add
packages with a specific version to fulfil chef's dependency:

I have no idea if they are correct/valid, but I would be grateful if
someone could have a look. Any hints are appreciated.

I am still having trouble with SLES11, but got no replies on the
packaging list this far.
home:ojkastl_buildservice:Chef_12_SLES_11

Soooooo, tl;dr:

Is there any reason why systemsmanagement:chef:xyz can not include a
newer ruby to allow builds of chef on things other than Tumbleweed?
Especially as chef in systemsmanagement:chef:master does not build for
a single buildtarget (even if the broken link was repaired)?

If desired, I could sr some packages to the systemsmanagement projects.

Or is there just no one using chef?

Please excuse the long mail.

Looking forward on your opinions,
Johannes

Re: About packaging chef for openSUSE and SLE12/12, systemsmanagement:chef:* and multiple ruby's

Stefan Seyfried
On 10.05.2017 22:14, Johannes Kastl wrote:
> Or is there just no one using chef?

I guess so, people just wanted to keep their sanity and moved on to something else...

:-P

Good luck,
--
Stefan Seyfried

Re: About packaging chef for openSUSE and SLE12/12, systemsmanagement:chef:* and multiple ruby's

Robert Munteanu
On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 11:14 PM, Johannes Kastl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Or is there just no one using chef?

FWIW, about 3-4 years ago when I looked into configuration management
tools, puppet had considerably better support for openSUSE so I stuck
with that. That, and it being available in the main distribution would
IMO go a long way towards people choosing puppet instead of chef.

Today we would also get salt and ansible in the mix, but that's what
the situation was back then.

Robert

--
http://robert.muntea.nu/

Re: About packaging chef for openSUSE and SLE12/12, systemsmanagement:chef:* and multiple ruby's

Johannes Kastl-2
Hi Seife, Robert,

On 11.05.17 08:46 Robert Munteanu wrote:

> FWIW, about 3-4 years ago when I looked into configuration
> management tools, puppet had considerably better support for
> openSUSE so I stuck with that. That, and it being available in the
> main distribution would IMO go a long way towards people choosing
> puppet instead of chef.

I fully agree with the both of you, I would not have chosen chef
myself. Gosh, ruby style syntax when one can have YAML? ;-)

(Nothing against ruby as a programming language, it might have it's
advantages there)

> Today we would also get salt and ansible in the mix, but that's
> what the situation was back then.

Agreed.

If noone else steps up, I would be willing to spend a little time on
getting things in shape in systemsmanagement:chef:* and move my
home-packages there...

Johannes