Quantcast

ADSL Modem Manual

John Pierce-3
Hello, this is probably not the best place to ask, but I will anyway.
My son is running opensuse 10.2 on his computer, he lives in indiana
and just got dsl.  They gave him the following modem and left him with
no manual.

Make:  Next Level Communications
Model #:  E2012

I would like to be able to assist him and log into his machine
remotely, but I cannot find a manual for the online configuration of
this modem, can anyone tell me where to start looking for one.

From google I have determined that the modem is manufactured by
Motorola, I think.

TIA

John
--
Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at
http://counter.li.org

Re: ADSL Modem Manual

M Harris-2
On Saturday 27 January 2007 13:06, John Pierce wrote:
> Hello, this is probably not the best place to ask, but I will anyway.
> My son is running opensuse 10.2 on his computer, he lives in indiana
> and just got dsl.  They gave him the following modem and left him with
> no manual.
>
> Make:  Next Level Communications
> Model #:  E2012
        You might be overcomplicating things a bit...

        ... Plug his computer into the modem using the RJ45 connector... from his
network interfact card (nic) to the dsl modem... and then configure the nic
in linux as a lan connection getting the address automatically from dhcp.
Reset the modem and boot the linux box... the linux box will get an ip
address from the dsl modem and you'll be up...  you shouldn't need to
configure the modem at all.

        When my daughter went through this the service guy was no help, and insisted
that she connect to a windoze box with the usb cable.  (her modem supports
both methods)   I took her an RJ45 cat V cable and had her connected in about
three minutes.

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><

Re: ADSL Modem Manual

Carl Hartung
On Sat January 27 2007 14:06, John Pierce wrote:

> Hello, this is probably not the best place to ask, but I will anyway.
> My son is running opensuse 10.2 on his computer, he lives in indiana
> and just got dsl.  They gave him the following modem and left him with
> no manual.
>
> Make:  Next Level Communications
> Model #:  E2012
>
> I would like to be able to assist him and log into his machine
> remotely, but I cannot find a manual for the online configuration of
> this modem, can anyone tell me where to start looking for one.
>
> >From google I have determined that the modem is manufactured by
>
> Motorola, I think.

Hi John,

Check out http://www.dslreports.com/

It has an enormous public knowledge base and forums system where you can drill
down by Location and ISP and hardware. One question, though: Did they also
supply a 'Wintel/Mac' CD-ROM to be used for setting up the hardware and
initializing the account?

Carl

Re: ADSL Modem Manual

John Pierce-3
M. Harris and Carl, the machine was configured to use dhcp for its ip,
he has no problem getting connected.  They set that part up for him, I
want to be able to open the firewall and allow me to ssh into his
computer as he has a sound driver issue and it would be easier for me
to fix it than explain it to him.

I am sure that his machine would give up the default gateway with
ifconfig, but I would like to be able to talk him through the menus
and options to change his firewall configuration in the modem.

Thank you for the dslreports link, I forgot about them.

John

On Saturday 27 January 2007 13:35, John Pierce wrote:
> I am sure that his machine would give up the default gateway with
> ifconfig, but I would like to be able to talk him through the menus
> and options to change his firewall configuration in the modem.
        No problem... I do this for my daughter all the time. The problem is not the
dsl modem.... all you need to know to connect is the ip address of his
machine. The problem is the firewall on the linux box... and that's easy. Use
Yast and configure (Security) the firewall to allow ssh. Have him create a
sysadmin account (name it what you like) and once you ssh in then su to root
or whatever id you need. I have even piped X11 over the ssh connection and
used Yast on her machine !  (its slow, but it works)

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><

Re: ADSL Modem Manual

John Pierce-3
I have the firewall on the linux box disabled, the problem is the
firewall built into the dsl modem, it will not allow the ssh
connection.

John
--
Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at
http://counter.li.org

Re: ADSL Modem Manual

Patrick Shanahan
* John Pierce <[hidden email]> [01-27-07 15:32]:
> I have the firewall on the linux box disabled, the problem is the
> firewall built into the dsl modem, it will not allow the ssh
> connection.

Not sure but believe that your Motorola dsl-modem is the same that I
setup for one of my wife's friends.  The modem/router addr was
192.168.1.100
or
192.168.100.1

??

I'm not close enought to look for you....
--
Patrick Shanahan                        Registered Linux User #207535
http://wahoo.no-ip.org                        @ http://counter.li.org

Re: ADSL Modem Manual

M Harris-2
On Saturday 27 January 2007 14:32, you wrote:
> I have the firewall on the linux box disabled, the problem is the
> firewall built into the dsl modem, it will not allow the ssh
> connection.
        Yikes! ... now we're getting somewhere...

        Here is my recommend... send the dsl modem back (no I'm not kidding) and pick
up a dsl modem at BestBuy, or CicuitCity, whatever; most dsl providers will
allow the customer to opt for their own equipment.

        What is the modem's address?   Your dsl modem (if it has a firewall) probably
also has a web interface for configuration. Have your son access it from his
browser using the address of the modem. He should be able to set a password
and configure it from there.

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><

Re: ADSL Modem Manual

Carl Hartung
On Sat January 27 2007 14:35, John Pierce wrote:
> M. Harris and Carl, the machine was configured to use dhcp for its ip,
> he has no problem getting connected.  They set that part up for him, I
> want to be able to open the firewall and allow me to ssh into his
> computer as he has a sound driver issue and it would be easier for me
> to fix it than explain it to him.

Okay, that's why I asked about the setup CD-ROM. I couldn't tell from your
original post that the account had been activated and his hardware already
configured.

Here's another link to research: http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

Maybe someone's already posted instructions for his modem/router there?

> I am sure that his machine would give up the default gateway with
> ifconfig, but I would like to be able to talk him through the menus
> and options to change his firewall configuration in the modem.

regards,

Carl

Re: ADSL Modem Manual

John Pierce-3
Ok, I found out from dslreports.com that the E2012 is a dumb modem, it
has to have a router behind it.  When the computer was hooked up it
got its configuration from the isp and the modem is, I guess, kinda
like a bridge.

John

On Saturday 27 January 2007 15:53, John Pierce wrote:
> Ok, I found out from dslreports.com that the E2012 is a dumb modem, it
> has to have a router behind it.  When the computer was hooked up it
> got its configuration from the isp and the modem is, I guess, kinda
> like a bridge.
        That's what I was trying to tell you....

        ... so, does that mean that the isp has the ssh port blocked?

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><

Re: ADSL Modem Manual

M Harris-2
On Saturday 27 January 2007 15:59, M Harris wrote:
> On Saturday 27 January 2007 15:53, John Pierce wrote:
> > Ok, I found out from dslreports.com that the E2012 is a dumb modem, it
> > has to have a router behind it.  When the computer was hooked up it
> > got its configuration from the isp and the modem is, I guess, kinda
> > like a bridge.
>
> That's what I was trying to tell you....
>
> ... so, does that mean that the isp has the ssh port blocked?
        Oh, and duh, one more thing... are you sure that sshd is running on his
box...?  The firewall is disabled, but the ssh server may not be running?

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><

Re: ADSL Modem Manual

John Pierce-3
When I set the machine up, during the install I disabled the firewall
and left the ssh server daemon running.  I am guessing that the isp
has the port blocked.  I was going to send him to grc.com and have him
do a port scan and see what the results are.

John

On Sat January 27 2007 17:24, John Pierce wrote:
> When I set the machine up, during the install I disabled the firewall
> and left the ssh server daemon running.  I am guessing that the isp
> has the port blocked.  I was going to send him to grc.com and have him
> do a port scan and see what the results are.

First, props to M Harris for touching on some of these items already but I
want to address the topic holistically. :-)

You gain nothing but headaches, John, by having the firewall dropped. If the
firewall is enabled and running, the YaST sshd configuration module
will 'punch holes' in the right places before it starts sshd. :-)

Have him enable the firewall and ensure it's started, then configure sshd to
listen on a non-standard higher port like 2222 or similar. This will reduce
the number of unwanted bot/anonymous login attempts.

Root logins should be disabled in /etc/ssh/sshd_config. The
line 'PermitRootLogin' should be set to "no" (and the line uncommented if the
default is "yes" and is commented out.)

Finally, he can browse over to http://myipaddress.com/ or a similar site (find
them with Google) if he's having trouble determing what IP address he's been
assigned.

hth & regards,

Carl

Re: ADSL Modem Manual

John Pierce-3
Thank you all for your input, I had plans on configuring the router to
listen on a nonstandard port and forward it to the standard port on
the linux box.  Considering that this is a dumb modem I think you are
correct to enable the firewall and disable the root login.

John

Bugzilla from Joe_Morris@ntm.org
John Pierce wrote:
> Thank you all for your input, I had plans on configuring the router to
> listen on a nonstandard port and forward it to the standard port on
> the linux box.  Considering that this is a dumb modem I think you are
> correct to enable the firewall and disable the root login.
>
> John
and it would be a good idea to configure sshd to listen on a different
port as well to reduce the script kiddies break in attempts.

--
Joe Morris

Re: ADSL Modem Manual

John Pierce-3
Well, I will give all of these a try tomorrow, as I am at work until
midnight and back again a 0800 tomorrow.  The joys of a correctional
facility.

John