[ACTION REQUIRED] Make sure your packages get in openSUSE Leap

[ACTION REQUIRED] Make sure your packages get in openSUSE Leap

Richard Brown
Hi all,

Here's a reminder that for openSUSE Leap, unlike previous openSUSE
versions, package maintainers need to actively submit their packages
to the distribution if they want to be sure their package ends up in
the final release.

This is because openSUSE Leap can include packages from one of 3 origins

1) SUSE:SLE-12:GA and SUSE:SLE-12:Update - aka The SLE Sources
2) openSUSE:Factory
3) Leap Devel Projects - new devel projects for the purpose of
containing stable versions of packages for Leap which are newer than
SLE but older than Tumbleweed (Currently non of these exist, but they
are expected to be needed in the future)

As a Package Maintainer for openSUSE it is *your responsibility* to
decide which version of your software makes sense for the stable
distribution we are creating with leap.

More thoughts on this can be found on the opensuse-factory thread on the topic:
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2015-07/msg00796.html

The steps required are luckily quite simple

Step 1) Decide which of the 3 locations above you want to pull your
existing package from.

Step 2) Submit it to the openSUSE:42 Project (Full Documentation Here:
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:How_to_contribute_to_Leap )

Step 3) That should be it, make sure the package gets in and do the
usual awesome job you do maintaining the package - Thank you ;)

Please can everyone also do their best to spread the word around to
anyone and everyone who maintains packages in openSUSE who may not be
reading this list.

Many Thanks,

Richard

Re: [ACTION REQUIRED] Make sure your packages get in openSUSE Leap

Jan Engelhardt-4

On Thursday 2015-08-06 09:47, Richard Brown wrote:

>Here's a reminder that for openSUSE Leap, unlike previous openSUSE
>versions, package maintainers need to actively submit their packages
>to the distribution if they want to be sure their package ends up in
>the final release.
>
>This is because openSUSE Leap can include packages from one of 3 origins
>
>1) SUSE:SLE-12:GA and SUSE:SLE-12:Update - aka The SLE Sources
>2) openSUSE:Factory
>3) Leap Devel Projects - new devel projects for the purpose of
>containing stable versions of packages for Leap which are newer than
>SLE but older than Tumbleweed (Currently non of these exist, but they
>are expected to be needed in the future)

"How do I know if a package is, and in which version, already in 42?"
One can't just do `osc ls openSUSE:42`, but I remember there being some
metaprojects around,

openSUSE:42:SLE12-Picks
openSUSE:42:SLE-Pkgs-With-Overwrites
openSUSE:42:Factory-Copies

Was (most of) Factory copied at some point to 42? Given for example
mozaddon-adblock_edge, `osc se --pa mozaddon-adblock_edge` does not
list it for anything related to 42, is that a sure indicator it is
not present yet?

Re: [ACTION REQUIRED] Make sure your packages get in openSUSE Leap

Adrian Schröter
On Thursday 06 August 2015, 10:59:07 wrote Jan Engelhardt:

> On Thursday 2015-08-06 09:47, Richard Brown wrote:
> >
> >Here's a reminder that for openSUSE Leap, unlike previous openSUSE
> >versions, package maintainers need to actively submit their packages
> >to the distribution if they want to be sure their package ends up in
> >the final release.
> >
> >This is because openSUSE Leap can include packages from one of 3 origins
> >
> >1) SUSE:SLE-12:GA and SUSE:SLE-12:Update - aka The SLE Sources
> >2) openSUSE:Factory
> >3) Leap Devel Projects - new devel projects for the purpose of
> >containing stable versions of packages for Leap which are newer than
> >SLE but older than Tumbleweed (Currently non of these exist, but they
> >are expected to be needed in the future)
>
> "How do I know if a package is, and in which version, already in 42?"
> One can't just do `osc ls openSUSE:42`, but I remember there being some
> metaprojects around,
>
> openSUSE:42:SLE12-Picks
> openSUSE:42:SLE-Pkgs-With-Overwrites
> openSUSE:42:Factory-Copies

JFYI, you can use the expand option to list all packages from all linked projects:

# osc ls openSUSE:42 | wc -l
51
# osc ls -e openSUSE:42 | wc -l
5865

--

Adrian Schroeter
email: [hidden email]

SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Dilip Upmanyu, Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
Maxfeldstraße 5
90409 Nürnberg
Germany

On 6 August 2015 at 10:59, Adrian Schröter <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> "How do I know if a package is, and in which version, already in 42?"
>> One can't just do `osc ls openSUSE:42`, but I remember there being some
>> metaprojects around,

As Adrian points out, you can just do `osc ls openSUSE:42` just make
sure to add `-e` as an option and it will expand linked packages

>> Was (most of) Factory copied at some point to 42? Given for example
>> mozaddon-adblock_edge, `osc se --pa mozaddon-adblock_edge` does not
>> list it for anything related to 42, is that a sure indicator it is
>> not present yet?

The Leap Release Team/Factory maintainers took some liberties and
threw together a pile of packages in order to get Milestone 1 out, in
order to get development rolling (otherwise we'd have had a milestone
that barely exceeded the minimal system, no X, no GNOME, no nothing)

So, for some packages, yes, they're already in Leap
But you cannot rely on them to continue that for the rest of the
packages in Factory.
And they might have picked the 'wrong' version for Leap, they were
just trying to get something put together that worked, they won't be
the ones responsible for maintaining the packages for the lifespan of
leap.

If you're a package maintainer, the only way to be sure that the
packages YOU want in openSUSE Leap are if YOU do it. :)

On Thursday 2015-08-06 11:10, Richard Brown wrote:

>So, for some packages, yes, they're already in Leap
>But you cannot rely on them to continue that for the rest of the
>packages in Factory.
>And they might have picked the 'wrong' version for Leap, they were
>just trying to get something put together that worked, they won't be
>the ones responsible for maintaining the packages for the lifespan of
>leap.
>
>If you're a package maintainer, the only way to be sure that the
>packages YOU want in openSUSE Leap are if YOU do it. :)

After some IRC discussion, just sending SRs is ok.
As per https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:How_to_contribute_to_Leap ,
I attempted to do, similar to the suggested one,

        osc sr --no-cleanup -m 'blah' openSUSE:Factory/ntl openSUSE:42

That then gets me

        Warning: failed to fetch meta data for 'openSUSE:42' package 'ntl' (new package?)
        Server returned an error: HTTP Error 403: Forbidden
        Creating a submit request action with options requires maintainership in source package

So, I can't help but think of it as ironic asking developers to send their
packages towards leap and then not be able to do so :p

Re: [ACTION REQUIRED] Make sure your packages get in openSUSE Leap

Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
On Thu, 2015-08-06 at 11:15 +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> After some IRC discussion, just sending SRs is ok.
> As per https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:How_to_contribute_to_Leap ,
> I attempted to do, similar to the suggested one,
>
> osc sr --no-cleanup -m 'blah' openSUSE:Factory/ntl openSUSE:42

In a rcent discussion on IRC we figured out that you MUST NOT pass -
-cleanup or --no-cleanup to the sr command. Which, in turn means, if
you changed the default behavior of osc, you might run into the issue.

try submitting with --no-cleanup removed from the command.

> So, I can't help but think of it as ironic asking developers to send
> their
> packages towards leap and then not be able to do so :p

Special case for a special user having changed his own osc config and
then being in need of other commands than what is expected :)

Dimstar / Dominique Leuenberger <[hidden email]>

Re: [ACTION REQUIRED] Make sure your packages get in openSUSE Leap

Adam Spiers
Richard Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 6 August 2015 at 10:59, Adrian Schröter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> "How do I know if a package is, and in which version, already in 42?"
> >> One can't just do `osc ls openSUSE:42`, but I remember there being some
> >> metaprojects around,
>
> As Adrian points out, you can just do `osc ls openSUSE:42` just make
> sure to add `-e` as an option and it will expand linked packages

Please don't provide useful info to the mailing list without
documenting it somewhere more discoverable.  If it gets buried in the
list archives then it's much harder to find.

On this occasion I've attempted to capture it correctly on the wiki
page:

  https://en.opensuse.org/index.php?title=openSUSE:How_to_contribute_to_Leap&diff=71748&oldid=71668

but it would be much better if someone who has half a clue about Leap
(i.e. not me) documents it.

TIA!

Re: [ACTION REQUIRED] Make sure your packages get in openSUSE Leap

Axel Braun-2
Am Donnerstag, 6. August 2015, 11:20:56 schrieb Dimstar / Dominique
Leuenberger:

> On Thu, 2015-08-06 at 11:15 +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> > After some IRC discussion, just sending SRs is ok.
> > As per https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:How_to_contribute_to_Leap ,
> > I attempted to do, similar to the suggested one,
> >
> > osc sr --no-cleanup -m 'blah' openSUSE:Factory/ntl openSUSE:42
>
> In a rcent discussion on IRC we figured out that you MUST NOT pass -
> -cleanup or --no-cleanup to the sr command. Which, in turn means, if
> you changed the default behavior of osc, you might run into the issue.
>
> try submitting with --no-cleanup removed from the command.
>
> > So, I can't help but think of it as ironic asking developers to send
> > their
> > packages towards leap and then not be able to do so :p
>
> Special case for a special user having changed his own osc config and
> then being in need of other commands than what is expected :)

Is there a special authorisation required?
Submitting a package to openSUSE:42:SLE12-Picks (via Web frontend) results in
'unable to submit'.
Or should it be submitted to a different target?

Thanks
Axel

Re: [ACTION REQUIRED] Make sure your packages get in openSUSE Leap

Simon Lees

On 08/10/2015 09:10 PM, Axel Braun wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 6. August 2015, 11:20:56 schrieb Dimstar / Dominique
> Leuenberger:
>> On Thu, 2015-08-06 at 11:15 +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>>> After some IRC discussion, just sending SRs is ok.
>>> As per https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:How_to_contribute_to_Leap ,
>>> I attempted to do, similar to the suggested one,
>>>
>>> osc sr --no-cleanup -m 'blah' openSUSE:Factory/ntl openSUSE:42
>> In a rcent discussion on IRC we figured out that you MUST NOT pass -
>> -cleanup or --no-cleanup to the sr command. Which, in turn means, if
>> you changed the default behavior of osc, you might run into the issue.
>>
>> try submitting with --no-cleanup removed from the command.
>>
>>> So, I can't help but think of it as ironic asking developers to send
>>> their
>>> packages towards leap and then not be able to do so :p
>> Special case for a special user having changed his own osc config and
>> then being in need of other commands than what is expected :)
> Is there a special authorisation required?
> Submitting a package to openSUSE:42:SLE12-Picks (via Web frontend) results in
> 'unable to submit'.
> Or should it be submitted to a different target?
>
> Thanks
> Axel
I submitted mine from openSUSE:Factory to openSUSE:42 and that worked
for me, but i'm not a expert

Cheers
Simon

Am Dienstag, 11. August 2015, 22:15:11 schrieb Simon Lees:

> On 08/10/2015 09:10 PM, Axel Braun wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, 6. August 2015, 11:20:56 schrieb Dimstar / Dominique

> >> In a rcent discussion on IRC we figured out that you MUST NOT pass -
> >> -cleanup or --no-cleanup to the sr command. Which, in turn means, if
> >> you changed the default behavior of osc, you might run into the issue.
> >>
> >> try submitting with --no-cleanup removed from the command.

> >> Special case for a special user having changed his own osc config and
> >> then being in need of other commands than what is expected :)
> >
> > Is there a special authorisation required?
> > Submitting a package to openSUSE:42:SLE12-Picks (via Web frontend) results
> > in 'unable to submit'.
> > Or should it be submitted to a different target?

> I submitted mine from openSUSE:Factory to openSUSE:42 and that worked
> for me, but i'm not a expert

Thats right, the CLI is much more verbose than the web-frontend. In between I
submitted via osc and filed an issue against OBS, to have the error message
more verbose.

Thanks
Axel

Re: [ACTION REQUIRED] Make sure your packages get in openSUSE Leap - a tool is involved in submitting packages

Max Lin
Hi Dear package maintainers&project maintainers,

* For the same purpose, let me follow on Richard's thread and borrow the
mail subject here :)

I've created a script to handle submitting packages from
openSUSE:Factory to openSUSE:42(ie. Leap) according to the build
succeeded packages in openSUSE:42:Factory-Candidates-Check[1], the
script usually executing when I think openSUSE:42 is ready to process
more submissions, each time it will submit ~100 packages to openSUSE:42
currently. This script is submit the build succeeded package in [1] only.

While this script creating submit request, it will also add a review to
$devel_project/$package, ie. submit openSUSE:Factory/nodejs-mime to
openSUSE:42[2], it's also open a review by openSUSE:Factory/nodejs-mime
there, therefore, you can see the request in your request list if you
are package maintainer or project maintainer and in case your maintained
package is submitted to openSUSE:42. Please review the request and
decline it if you think it should not go to Leap.

Please don't get me wrong here, it's not mean you can not submit
packages yourself, you still can. But since all submissions to :42 need
to pass 42's staging project, so I'd suggest that, please check
package's state in f-c-c[1] before submit it to :42 to avoid your
submission stuck in staging project(or declined by 42/staging
maintainer) due to build failed; unresolvable; or whatever reason. And
submit your changes to Factory before submit to openSUSE:42 is preferred.

Addition update: I've added skip_list to this script, I'll add the
project or package to the list once I saw the request is declined by
package maintainer/project maintainer, this script will not submit it
again in the next round. eg. X11:Enlightenment:Factory was in the skip
list already as Simon mentioned the plan against enlightment packages in
Leap in another amil at -factory@ and he also declined a e17 submission
to :42 already.

[1]
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/openSUSE:42:Factory-Candidates-Check
[2] https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/323731

Best regards,
Max

Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-packaging] [ACTION REQUIRED] Make sure your packages get in openSUSE Leap - a tool is involved in submitting packages

Marguerite Su
Hi, Max

I'll reject every nodejs-* package except the nodejs itself.

because:

1. those nodejs-* packages serve one purpose: to get npm in Factory, and:

2. npm is now provided by a sub-package `nodejs-npm` from nodejs main package.

3. updates for npm often involve lots of new dependencies. It's hard
to get those new packages into 42 in the future (even if now they
co-exist and serve their purpose well).

4. nodejs dependencies often invole lots of packages, users will not
install those ndoejs-* one by one. they just use npm to install the
dependencies to their user directory. Basically they just need a npm.

Marguerite

Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-packaging] [ACTION REQUIRED] Make sure your packages get in openSUSE Leap - a tool is involved in submitting packages

Marguerite Su
And:

1. Only go, golang-x-* (can be considered as "official“ libs or
extensions to go), and docker's dependencies will be accepted to 42.
There're a few golang-* packages in openSUSE:Factory, but most of them
are orphan (package provides go library which is not used by any other
golang package at build time or runtime, or developed at go 1.1 era),
I updated and renamed them before, just to keep consistency because I
don't know who sent them to Factory for what purpose.

2. scim and scim-* will be rejected because in 2015 no one use scim any more

3. kimtoy is a KDE4 application and it's rather dead, while KDE has
its own input panel now.

Marguerite

Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-packaging] [ACTION REQUIRED] Make sure your packages get in openSUSE Leap - a tool is involved in submitting packages

Takashi Iwai
On Thu, 20 Aug 2015 18:16:23 +0200,
Marguerite Su wrote:

> 2. scim and scim-* will be rejected because in 2015 no one use scim any more

Already scim and scim-anthy have been landed to openSUSE:42.

I guess we should do deletereq for them?

Takashi

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 12:22 AM, Takashi Iwai <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Already scim and scim-anthy have been landed to openSUSE:42.
>
> I guess we should do deletereq for them?

Omg!

I seemed to be outdated...the last update to scim happened 16 days
ago...(github.com/scim-im/scim)...I'll sent scim-sunpinyin manually.

But anyway I don't think there's people still using it...

Marguerite

On 08/21/2015 02:04 AM, Marguerite Su wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 12:22 AM, Takashi Iwai <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Already scim and scim-anthy have been landed to openSUSE:42.
>>
>> I guess we should do deletereq for them?
> Omg!
>
> I seemed to be outdated...the last update to scim happened 16 days
> ago...(github.com/scim-im/scim)...I'll sent scim-sunpinyin manually.
>
> But anyway I don't think there's people still using it...
>
> Marguerite
I think enlightenment still builds with support for it off the top of my
head, whether anyone uses that I don't know.

Cheers
Simon

Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-packaging] [ACTION REQUIRED] Make sure your packages get in openSUSE Leap - a tool is involved in submitting packages

Simon Lees

On 08/21/2015 02:04 AM, Marguerite Su wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 12:22 AM, Takashi Iwai <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Already scim and scim-anthy have been landed to openSUSE:42.
>>
>> I guess we should do deletereq for them?
> Omg!
>
> I seemed to be outdated...the last update to scim happened 16 days
> ago...(github.com/scim-im/scim)...I'll sent scim-sunpinyin manually.
>
> But anyway I don't think there's people still using it...
>
> Marguerite
Sorry to double post from a quick 5 second IRC poll some of the
enlightenment devs still use it for Korean and Japanese, in terms of
enlightenment its still the best supported IME. It's also used by Tizen
but thats less relevant here.

Cheers
Simon

Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-packaging] [ACTION REQUIRED] Make sure your packages get in openSUSE Leap - a tool is involved in submitting packages

Takashi Iwai
On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 14:00:47 +0200,
Simon Lees wrote:

> On 08/21/2015 02:04 AM, Marguerite Su wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 12:22 AM, Takashi Iwai <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Already scim and scim-anthy have been landed to openSUSE:42.
> >>
> >> I guess we should do deletereq for them?
> > Omg!
> >
> > I seemed to be outdated...the last update to scim happened 16 days
> > ago...(github.com/scim-im/scim)...I'll sent scim-sunpinyin manually.
> >
> > But anyway I don't think there's people still using it...
> >
> > Marguerite
> Sorry to double post from a quick 5 second IRC poll some of the
> enlightenment devs still use it for Korean and Japanese, in terms of
> enlightenment its still the best supported IME. It's also used by Tizen
> but thats less relevant here.

Well, the question is whether it's a requirement for Enlightment
desktop.  If not, i.e. if it's only developer's preference, the ease
of maintenance overrules it.  They can still use the packages
maintained in OBS M17N project like many other packages.

So, how is the status?

thanks,

Takashi

Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-packaging] [ACTION REQUIRED] Make sure your packages get in openSUSE Leap - a tool is involved in submitting packages

Takashi Iwai
On Thu, 20 Aug 2015 18:34:36 +0200,
Marguerite Su wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 12:22 AM, Takashi Iwai <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Already scim and scim-anthy have been landed to openSUSE:42.
> >
> > I guess we should do deletereq for them?
>
> Omg!
>
> I seemed to be outdated...the last update to scim happened 16 days
> ago...(github.com/scim-im/scim)...I'll sent scim-sunpinyin manually.
>
> But anyway I don't think there's people still using it...

It's really up to maintainers to decide to take or not.  If the
maintenance of scim-* package isn't too difficult, we can keep them on
Leap, of course.  OTOH, if the maintenance load is significant, we
should consider dropping them.

I myself have no preference about this at all.  It's mostly you who
has keeping them up, so if it's too much burden for you, we can drop
them.

BTW, what is the way to drop a package from Leap?  I tried deletereq
to openSUSE:42/scim, but it failed like:

  Server returned an error: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
  Couldn't find Package

OTOH, a deletereq to openSUSE:42:Factory-Copies/* results in:

  The target project openSUSE:42:Factory-Copies is not accepting
  requests because: please submit to openSUSE:42 instead

thanks,

Takashi

On Fri, 2015-08-21 at 14:32 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> BTW, what is the way to drop a package from Leap?  I tried deletereq
> to openSUSE:42/scim, but it failed like:

That's a very good question which does not have an answer as of now...
best is to work with me/coolo for now to prepare the del requests...

Dominique