A technical inquiry about failures of a new installation of KDE PIM5 in 42.2 fresh install

A technical inquiry about failures of a new installation of KDE PIM5 in 42.2 fresh install

Stakanov Schufter
I am in connection with a user of opensuse-de (carbon copy) that does speak a
very limited amount of English. As the bug reporting will require that I do a
courtesy translation, in order to check if the problem is eventually easily to
be fixed, I do report here his findings.

He will receive courtesy translation of your answer, as well as the original.

I am aware that this is a bit unusual but that's the way it is, as I do find
that this will be easier then to do every time copy and paste or to translate
on the site all the exchanges in two languages. (There is no opensuse-bugzilla
in German, is there? After all I would like to see potential problems of
migration fixed in my own interest (as I will have to do the very same in the
future).

Condition:
a) the user has used archives to backup the mail
b) the user did import the archives in a temporary directory in kmail
c) the user then redistributed the mail

After the very first start he did get an error message:

"Im E-Mail-Programm ist ein schwerwiegender Fehler aufgetreten. Das Programm
wird beendet.
Die Fehlermeldung lautet:
Could not create collection inbox, resourceId: 3"
Resulting was a very instable Kmail so he did run akonadictl fsck and
aconadictl vaccuum.

Where the German bit is: Your E-Mail-Programm has suffered an sever Error. The
Programm will be terminated. The error message is........

After this the Programm seamed to start normally. But in fact it isn't as
apparently he cannot see mails, he cannot shift folders.

His findings:
In top and normal operations he can see 5 processes for kontakt and about 20
for Akonadi.

In the error log he gets (after running fsck and vaccuum):

Connecting to deprecated signal
QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)Cannot
resume a timer that is not paused.Cannot resume a timer that is not
paused.Cannot resume a timer that is not paused.Cannot pause an inactive timer

In the console he has also the output:

QIODevice::write (KTcpSocket): device not open

When trying to shift folders within Kmail this fails. The corresponding output
in the console is:

log_maildirresource: Got incomplete ancestor chain: Collection ID: 40
remote ID: ""
   name: "google"
   url: QUrl("akonadi:?collection=40")
   parent: 8 "inbox"
   resource: ""
   rights: QFlags(0x1|0x2|0x4|0x8|0x10|0x20)
   contents mime type: ()
   isVirtual: false
    CachePolicy:
   inherit: true
   interval: -1
   timeout: -1
   sync on demand: false
   local parts: ()
    CollectionStatistics:
   count: -1
   unread count: -1
   size: -1

Any suggestions what is the "catastrophic event" here that causes him all that
trouble? As it is a new install it should work quite well I thought....
Especially because archiving AFAIK does run only if the index is integer. The
archive was created in 13.2.

Re: A technical inquiry about failures of a new installation of KDE PIM5 in 42.2 fresh install

Stakanov Schufter
In data domenica 8 gennaio 2017 20:26:49, stakanov ha scritto:

> [...]
>    url: QUrl("akonadi:?collection=40")
>    parent: 8 "inbox"
>    resource: ""
>    rights: QFlags(0x1|0x2|0x4|0x8|0x10|0x20)
>    contents mime type: ()
>    isVirtual: false
>     CachePolicy:
>    inherit: true
>    interval: -1
>    timeout: -1
>    sync on demand: false
>    local parts: ()
>     CollectionStatistics:
>    count: -1
>    unread count: -1
>    size: -1
>

> Any suggestions what is the "catastrophic event" here that causes him all
> that trouble? As it is a new install it should work quite well I
> thought.... Especially because archiving AFAIK does run only if the index
> is integer. The archive was created in 13.2.

With one correction, the archives where created under 42.1.

Re: A technical inquiry about failures of a new installation of KDE PIM5 in 42.2 fresh install

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2017-01-08 22:57, stakanov wrote:
>> Any suggestions what is the "catastrophic event" here that causes him all
>> that trouble? As it is a new install it should work quite well I
>> thought.... Especially because archiving AFAIK does run only if the index
>> is integer. The archive was created in 13.2.
> With one correction, the archives where created under 42.1.

There is a mention of kmail in the release notes, but I doubt that it
applies to the present case:

https://doc.opensuse.org/release-notes/x86_64/openSUSE/Leap/42.2/

  (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

Re: A technical inquiry about failures of a new installation of KDE PIM5 in 42.2 fresh install

Martin Schlander
søndag den 8. januar 2017 22.57.10 CET skrev stakanov:

> In data domenica 8 gennaio 2017 20:26:49, stakanov ha scritto:
> > Condition:
> > a) the user has used archives to backup the mail
> > b) the user did import the archives in a temporary directory in kmail
> > c) the user then redistributed the mail
> >
> > After the very first start he did get an error message:
> >
> > "Im E-Mail-Programm ist ein schwerwiegender Fehler aufgetreten. Das
> > Programm wird beendet.
> > Die Fehlermeldung lautet:
> > Could not create collection inbox, resourceId: 3"
> > Resulting was a very instable Kmail so he did run akonadictl fsck and
> > aconadictl vaccuum.

KDE PIM 5 is a bit immature. That's why kdepim4 is also still included in
42.2.

Personally I'm fairly happy with the KDEPIM5 of 42.2, it has some rough edges
here and there, but overall it's smoother than KDEPIM4 was for me.

However I also had a few issues migrating. My suggestion would be to remove
all akonadi and kmail/kontact data and configuration (from ~/.config/ and
~/.local/share/) and try again from scratch.

I had better luck when I tried to migrate one KDE PIM app at a time
separately/standalone (kmail, akregator, korganizer, kaddressbook), than when
I tried to migrate every Kontact component 'at the same time'. For me that
also made the underlying Akonadi framework implode.

Good luck.

Re: A technical inquiry about failures of a new installation of KDE PIM5 in 42.2 fresh install

Luca Beltrame
In data giovedì 12 gennaio 2017 19:20:04 CET, Martin Schlander ha scritto:

> KDE PIM 5 is a bit immature. That's why kdepim4 is also still included in
> 42.2.

It used to be the case for Leap 42.1. It is no longer the case for 42.2. In
fact, PIM 4.x is completely unsupported from KDE upstream: we kept it only to
prevent surprises from people upgrading. IOW, PIM 5 (in particular in the
Applications 16.12 release, sadly not in Leap) is now mature enough.

That's why 4.x will get removed in 42.3 (and is no longer present in TW).

--
Luca Beltrame - KDE Forums team
GPG key ID: A29D259B

In data giovedì 12 gennaio 2017 19:25:04, Luca Beltrame ha scritto:

> In data giovedì 12 gennaio 2017 19:20:04 CET, Martin Schlander ha scritto:
> > KDE PIM 5 is a bit immature. That's why kdepim4 is also still included in
> > 42.2.
>
> It used to be the case for Leap 42.1. It is no longer the case for 42.2. In
> fact, PIM 4.x is completely unsupported from KDE upstream: we kept it only
> to prevent surprises from people upgrading. IOW, PIM 5 (in particular in
> the Applications 16.12 release, sadly not in Leap) is now mature enough.
>
> That's why 4.x will get removed in 42.3 (and is no longer present in TW).

Without that wanting to be a rant, but, with the 42.2 not having a working KDE
PIM4  (no it does not work, you have to restart akonadi every boot, after
exiting kontakt) and not being given any support, people are left with a) go
back to 42.1 (as I did), b) do that every boot: start kontakt. Close Kontakt,
then akonadictl stop, fsck and start (is that supposed "avoiding surprises" -
well I was surprised) and then start the Programm again. This wouln't be an
issue if 42.1 would reach up to 42.3. But it doesen't and so people will have
the choice to a) drop kmail for TB b) use an "older" not really working PIM5
version, c) use for at least 6 month an outdated and unsupported
distribution......
d) once there was a kde-stable repo but that is something like a nonsense IMO
in 42.2 as it is supposed to be stable and working. And I do not know if it
exist any more and especially what you may run into with it.

The thing is, the guy has so many problems that I do not really what to say to
him any more. I will try to tell him to migrate one on one the apps. But as he
has already the archives, can he do that? I do not remember if he can finegrane
what he wants to read in.

Besides: he spoke also of the problem that the first time he just upgraded from
42.1 to 42.2 he had a "magic multiplication of identities" that went on endlessly
for every boot. He did at the end a new install and claimed that he did not
reproduce this.
I saw in his logs also akonadi complaining about "birthday" value, but that
was fixed with running fsck on akonadi. Now what is left is what I did write.
Unfortunately, a lot of German users do not contribute to the bug reporting
because they feel that their English is not proficient enough (although I have
the doubt that it is the fear of "not doing a good report" and not be taken
seriously.

As for my own benefit: the problem I did encounter was that (new user account
or old) when I imported the POP3 folders in local, akonadi said that the
"local folder" resource was damaged and offline. Appearing in red. However new
mail was filtered correctly (we are talking about the PIM4 version). If anybody
has a hint what that could be.... I am taker too and grateful of course.

In data giovedì 12 gennaio 2017 19:47:45 CET, stakanov ha scritto:

> Without that wanting to be a rant, but, with the 42.2 not having a working
> KDE PIM4  (no it does not work, you have to restart akonadi every boot,

I'm not sure if anyone else is experiencing these issues, but that is one of
the reasons I did *not* want to keep PIM 4.x in. However, consensus was to
keep it. It's totally unsupported and no one will fix it.

> IMO in 42.2 as it is supposed to be stable and working. And I do not know
> if it exist any more and especially what you may run into with it.

Third party repos are offered as a convenience, but neither of them was ever
supported in any way, FYI. You *can* get the latest PIM from KDE:Applications,
but as said before, if it breaks, you get to keep the pieces.

> The thing is, the guy has so many problems that I do not really what to say

To be honest, I've been using PIM 5 for years (granted, I run this off git, so
it's scary for most people ;) with little issues save a few snags that were
corrected before releases.

--
Luca Beltrame - KDE Forums team
GPG key ID: A29D259B

Re: A technical inquiry about failures of a new installation of KDE PIM5 in 42.2 fresh install

Thomas Hejze
Am Donnerstag, 12. Jänner 2017, 19:25:04 CET schrieb Luca Beltrame:

> It used to be the case for Leap 42.1. It is no longer the case for 42.2. In
> fact, PIM 4.x is completely unsupported from KDE upstream: we kept it only
> to prevent surprises from people upgrading. IOW, PIM 5 (in particular in
> the Applications 16.12 release, sadly not in Leap) is now mature enough.
>
> That's why 4.x will get removed in 42.3 (and is no longer present in TW).

I recently changed from 42.1 to 42.2 and took the OpenSuSE's default kdepim,
which is 16.08.2. Migration did not cause problems, no loss of mail, nothing
happened with the filters. I observe a preformance gain, as I do with plasma in
general. With 42.1 I was not able to use plasma any more because my notebook
did - for decades of minutes - nothing but harddisk operations. I had to
switch to LXQt to do work. With 42.2 I can use plasma again.

I hope we will get 16.12, too, if Luca's statment about maturity can be
confirmed by the OpenSuSE team. Thanks to all, who have been working on a
stable kdepim for OpenSuSE.

Regards
Thomas Hejze

Re: A technical inquiry about failures of a new installation of KDE PIM5 in 42.2 fresh install

Wolfgang Bauer
Am Donnerstag, 12. Januar 2017, 19:47:45 schrieb stakanov:
> Without that wanting to be a rant, but, with the 42.2 not having a working
> KDE PIM4  (no it does not work, you have to restart akonadi every boot,
> after exiting kontakt)

It *should* work though, after all 42.2 contains exactly the same kdepim4
packages as 42.1 and 13.2.
And it does work fine here, just as kdepim5 does (but I'm having 16.12
installed meanwhile, though I did use 16.08.2 as well without problems in the
past).

BUT: having akonadi-search installed (which is the indexer for
Akonadi5/kdepim5) can cause problems.
So uninstall it if that's the case (and install baloo-pim instead if you want
indexed search), and it may likely solve your problems with kdepim4.

See also: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=215&t=138516

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

In data mercoledì 18 gennaio 2017 19:41:36, Wolfgang Bauer ha scritto:
> having akonadi-search installed
Ahhhh bingo.
Das ist eine gute Idee. Genau das hatte ich nämlich gesehen.... gut, das kann
ich probieren. Danke!

Re: A technical inquiry about failures of a new installation of KDE PIM5 in 42.2 fresh install

Stakanov Schufter
Sorry just looked at the name, ... and got the long language triggered.
Meant:
This could be the solution, good idea. I will try.