4KB physical sector drives

gregfreemyer
On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 5:08 AM, Wols Lists <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 15/12/17 00:31, Felix Miata wrote:
>> Dave Plater composed on 2017-12-14 17:53 (UTC+0200):
>>
>>> Not sure but I think that some large disks
>>> have physical sectors of 4096 bytes.
>>
>> Most (if not all) >500GB made in the past ~6 years have 4Kb physical sectors:
>> <https://www.seagate.com/tech-insights/advanced-format-4k-sector-hard-drives-master-ti/>
>>
> Drifting off topic (if not more here), while most drives had a
> compatibility mode, many newer drives do not.
>
> If your drive ONLY supports 4K sectors, and your fdisk or gpt or
> whatever has an "off-by-one" specifying the partition size in 512B
> sectors, then this can cripple disk access speeds.
>
> (I think I've explained it right - but it's definitely an "off by one"
> problem, and if your disk performance is awful, that could be why)

Hopefully on topic:

Modern versions of openSUSE use tools that default the partition
alignment to 1 MB boundaries.

If you have a 4KB drive it is best to ensure it doesn't do an
optimization for aligning with the old practice of starting the first
partition on sector 63.

I've never seen one that supported the sector 63 alignment, but I
understand those that do have a jumper to control it.

Greg