42.3 no window decorations in mate

Felix Miata-3
Attached is installed packages list that ought to account for all basics:

        zypper se -si | grep -v lib | egrep 'mate|gnome|gtk'

I've never tried mate before. I installed 42.3 fresh yesterday minimal X, then
added Plasma, which works well. A mate session appears to start complete, but
nothing I try opening has any window decorations. I opened Firefox, but mouse
clicks in its UI do nothing, and I can't even close it using Ctrl-Q.

The show desktop button said there was no window manager running, so I installed
TWM, but it didn't help.

I've found no mate bugs open on boo that include strings decorations and mate in
comments and/or summary. Is a new bug filing indicated here for a missing WM
requirement? Which WM(s) can mate use? How could requirement for a WM be missing
for such basic functionality to be absent?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

mate-pkgs16.txt (11K) Download Attachment

Re: 42.3 no window decorations in mate

Felix Miata-3
Felix Miata composed on 2017-07-17 03:17 (UTC-0400):

> Attached is installed packages list that ought to account for all basics:

> zypper se -si | grep -v lib | egrep 'mate|gnome|gtk'

> I've never tried mate before. I installed 42.3 fresh yesterday minimal X, then
> added Plasma, which works well. A mate session appears to start complete, but
> nothing I try opening has any window decorations. I opened Firefox, but mouse
> clicks in its UI do nothing, and I can't even close it using Ctrl-Q.

> The show desktop button said there was no window manager running, so I installed
> TWM, but it didn't help.

> I've found no mate bugs open on boo that include strings decorations and mate in
> comments and/or summary. Is a new bug filing indicated here for a missing WM
> requirement? Which WM(s) can mate use? How could requirement for a WM be missing
> for such basic functionality to be absent?

Found .xsession-errors was pointing to uninstalled marco. Why is marco not
required by any of the mate-* packages?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: 42.3 no window decorations in mate

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2017-07-17 10:31, Felix Miata wrote:
> Felix Miata composed on 2017-07-17 03:17 (UTC-0400):

> Found .xsession-errors was pointing to uninstalled marco. Why is marco not
> required by any of the mate-* packages?

I suppose there is some 'mate' pattern?

Re: 42.3 no window decorations in mate

Felix Miata-3

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> Felix Miata composed on 2017-07-17 03:17 (UTC-0400):

>> Found .xsession-errors was pointing to uninstalled marco. Why is marco not
>> required by any of the mate-* packages?

> I suppose there is some 'mate' pattern?

You mean besides those listed as installed in my OP?

il | patterns-openSUSE-mate | package | 20170518-5.1 | x86_64 | OSS
il | patterns-openSUSE-mate_basis | package | 20170518-5.1 | x86_64 | OSS
i  | mate_basis        | pattern | 20170518-5.1 | x86_64 | OSS

Those that remain uninstalled do not look necessary:

*mate-admin
*mate-internet
*mate-laptop
*mate-office