3ware SATA Raid (9500S-8)

Cedric Gavage
Hi all,

I'm testing a 3ware sata raid interface (9500S-8) with a suse 10.1 on an
intel-based server (motherboard asus p4p800 with a cpu p4 3 GHz).

Based on http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/SATA_IDE_Cards, it's supported. No
problem to create the raid volume, to initialize it, to do the mkfs
(reiserfs), to copy files, etc... but after a moment, the server becomes
unstable and freezes... Generally after some I/O...

If I remove the 3ware controller, anymore problem.

Any idea? Any experience with this card?

Thanks for your feedback.

--
 Cedric Gavage <[hidden email]> -- OpenPGP: 0xED325C64
 http://gavage.com -- http://unixtech.be

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: 3ware SATA Raid (9500S-8)

Lew Wolfgang
Cedric Gavage wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm testing a 3ware sata raid interface (9500S-8) with a suse 10.1 on an
> intel-based server (motherboard asus p4p800 with a cpu p4 3 GHz).
>
> Based on http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/SATA_IDE_Cards, it's supported. No
> problem to create the raid volume, to initialize it, to do the mkfs
> (reiserfs), to copy files, etc... but after a moment, the server becomes
> unstable and freezes... Generally after some I/O...

Hi Cedric,

I've used the 9500S-8 with dual Opterons and 10.1.  No problems
when in the RAID-0 mode with partitions less than 2-TB.  The
fisrt install used 9.3, which had a problem with partitions
larger than 2-TB.  I haven't tried 10.1 with >2-TB.

I've also used the 9550SX-4LP with 10.1 and RAID-5 without
any issues.

Hope this helps,
Lew Wolfgang

Lew Wolfgang wrote:

> Cedric Gavage wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm testing a 3ware sata raid interface (9500S-8) with a suse 10.1 on an
>> intel-based server (motherboard asus p4p800 with a cpu p4 3 GHz).
>>
>> Based on http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/SATA_IDE_Cards, it's supported. No
>> problem to create the raid volume, to initialize it, to do the mkfs
>> (reiserfs), to copy files, etc... but after a moment, the server becomes
>> unstable and freezes... Generally after some I/O...
>
> Hi Cedric,
>
> I've used the 9500S-8 with dual Opterons and 10.1.  No problems
> when in the RAID-0 mode with partitions less than 2-TB.  The
> fisrt install used 9.3, which had a problem with partitions
> larger than 2-TB.  I haven't tried 10.1 with >2-TB.
>
> I've also used the 9550SX-4LP with 10.1 and RAID-5 without
> any issues.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Lew Wolfgang

Thanks for the feedback, I will investigate about the motherboard/bios/...

I'm using the card with 6 SATA disks (300 Gb) in RAID5+1hotspare

Cedric Gavage wrote:

> Lew Wolfgang wrote:
>> Cedric Gavage wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm testing a 3ware sata raid interface (9500S-8) with a suse 10.1 on an
>>> intel-based server (motherboard asus p4p800 with a cpu p4 3 GHz).
>>>
>>> Based on http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/SATA_IDE_Cards, it's supported. No
>>> problem to create the raid volume, to initialize it, to do the mkfs
>>> (reiserfs), to copy files, etc... but after a moment, the server becomes
>>> unstable and freezes... Generally after some I/O...
>> Hi Cedric,
>>
>> I've used the 9500S-8 with dual Opterons and 10.1.  No problems
>> when in the RAID-0 mode with partitions less than 2-TB.  The
>> fisrt install used 9.3, which had a problem with partitions
>> larger than 2-TB.  I haven't tried 10.1 with >2-TB.
>>
>> I've also used the 9550SX-4LP with 10.1 and RAID-5 without
>> any issues.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Lew Wolfgang
>>

> Thanks for the feedback, I will investigate about the motherboard/bios/...
>
> I'm using the card with 6 SATA disks (300 Gb) in RAID5+1hotspare

It was due to the motherboard... bios problem... I replaced the ASUS
P4P800 by one of the last gigabyte motherboard and the problem was solved.