12.1 Konqueror File Manager opens in wrong directory

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

12.1 Konqueror File Manager opens in wrong directory

James Knott
In openSUSE 12.1 KDE desktop, I use Konqueror instead of Dolphin for the
file manager.  However, for some reason it opens in ~/Documents, rather
than in ~.  Dophin opens in the correct subdirectory.  Is there any way
to change Konqueror to open in the correct subdirectory?

tnx jk

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 12.1 Konqueror File Manager opens in wrong directory

Ken Schneider - openSUSE
On 11/17/2011 01:16 PM, James Knott pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
> In openSUSE 12.1 KDE desktop, I use Konqueror instead of Dolphin for the
> file manager. However, for some reason it opens in ~/Documents, rather
> than in ~. Dophin opens in the correct subdirectory. Is there any way to
> change Konqueror to open in the correct subdirectory?
>
> tnx jk
>

Settings-->Configure Konq-->General Tab

Set home page to where-ever-you-want

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 12.1 Konqueror File Manager opens in wrong directory

Anton Aylward-2
In reply to this post by James Knott
James Knott said the following on 11/17/2011 01:16 PM:
> In openSUSE 12.1 KDE desktop, I use Konqueror instead of Dolphin for the
> file manager.  However, for some reason it opens in ~/Documents, rather
> than in ~.  Dophin opens in the correct subdirectory.  Is there any way
> to change Konqueror to open in the correct subdirectory?

Hmm.
"Correct" seems a arguable concept here.
I say that because when I use Konq as a file manager (as in whenever I
use KDE) I have a number of tabs open on various folders.  2 < N <=6

I shut down and start up again and all my KDE processes appear in the
virtual desktops they were in when I shut down and LO! Konq start up
with the same tabs on the same directories as when I shut down.

If I have a completely different set next time I shut down then that's
the set I get when I start up again.

Nothing about ~ or ~/Documents  just preserving the state at shut-down.

And Oh! Look!  I get the same with Dolphin!

I like this!  I must be doing something right.  Buqqer of a way to
learn, this, not making any mistakes ... how do I know what I did right?


--
Security is old, older than computers And old-guard security thinks of
countermeasures as a way to manage risk.  Avoiding threat is black &
white, either you avoid it or you don't.
Managing risk is continuous.
 - B Schneier, "Secrets and Lies" pp 385
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 12.1 Konqueror File Manager opens in wrong directory

James Knott
In reply to this post by Ken Schneider - openSUSE
Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:

> On 11/17/2011 01:16 PM, James Knott pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
>> In openSUSE 12.1 KDE desktop, I use Konqueror instead of Dolphin for the
>> file manager. However, for some reason it opens in ~/Documents, rather
>> than in ~. Dophin opens in the correct subdirectory. Is there any way to
>> change Konqueror to open in the correct subdirectory?
>>
>> tnx jk
>>
>
> Settings-->Configure Konq-->General Tab
>
> Set home page to where-ever-you-want
>

Actually, that doesn't work.  Also, home page should only apply to web
browser mode and not file manager.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 12.1 Konqueror File Manager opens in wrong directory

James Knott
In reply to this post by Anton Aylward-2
Anton Aylward wrote:

> James Knott said the following on 11/17/2011 01:16 PM:
>    
>> In openSUSE 12.1 KDE desktop, I use Konqueror instead of Dolphin for the
>> file manager.  However, for some reason it opens in ~/Documents, rather
>> than in ~.  Dophin opens in the correct subdirectory.  Is there any way
>> to change Konqueror to open in the correct subdirectory?
>>      
> Hmm.
> "Correct" seems a arguable concept here.
> I say that because when I use Konq as a file manager (as in whenever I
> use KDE) I have a number of tabs open on various folders.  2<  N<=6
>
> I shut down and start up again and all my KDE processes appear in the
> virtual desktops they were in when I shut down and LO! Konq start up
> with the same tabs on the same directories as when I shut down.
>
> If I have a completely different set next time I shut down then that's
> the set I get when I start up again.
>
> Nothing about ~ or ~/Documents  just preserving the state at shut-down.
>
> And Oh! Look!  I get the same with Dolphin!
>
> I like this!  I must be doing something right.  Buqqer of a way to
> learn, this, not making any mistakes ... how do I know what I did right?
>
>
>    

I do not restore sessions.  Also, even if Konqueror is left in my home
directory, it will reopen in Documents the next time.  It even opened
there the first time I opened it on a new install.


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 12.1 Konqueror File Manager opens in wrong directory

Sven Burmeister
Am Donnerstag, 17. November 2011, 16:32:20 schrieb James Knott:
> I do not restore sessions.  Also, even if Konqueror is left in my home
> directory, it will reopen in Documents the next time.  It even opened
> there the first time I opened it on a new install.

Did you try to save the file manager profile with the new path? AFAIK it's in
konqueror's settings menu.

Sven
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 12.1 Konqueror File Manager opens in wrong directory

Will Stephenson-2
In reply to this post by James Knott
On Thursday 17 Nov 2011 15:55:03 James Knott wrote:

> Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
> > On 11/17/2011 01:16 PM, James Knott pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
> >> In openSUSE 12.1 KDE desktop, I use Konqueror instead of Dolphin for
> >> the
> >> file manager. However, for some reason it opens in ~/Documents, rather
> >> than in ~. Dophin opens in the correct subdirectory. Is there any way
> >> to
> >> change Konqueror to open in the correct subdirectory?
> >>
> >> tnx jk
> >
> > Settings-->Configure Konq-->General Tab
> >
> > Set home page to where-ever-you-want
>
> Actually, that doesn't work.  Also, home page should only apply to web
> browser mode and not file manager.

It does (nowadays, if memory serves it was shared a long time ago).  The
default directory in file manageer mode is saved along with the File
Management view profile.

To change it:
Set up your tabs/view splits/sidebars and go to the the directories you like
to start from (or just set the directory on the default single view to KISS),
and then go to Settings->Configure View Profiles..., make sure 'Save URLs in
profile is checked, select File Management, click Save.  

You can see what's happening under the bonnet in
~/.kde4/share/apps/konqueror/profiles/filemanagement.  The curious
gobbledigook in the State= entry is an ascii serialization of the state of the
various splitters, toolbars and sidebars you can have in a mainwindow.  And I
notice you could customise the toolbar per view profile - another konqi
feature i didn't know about.

Will

--
Will Stephenson, openSUSE Team
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imend├Ârffer,
HRB 21284 (AG N├╝rnberg)
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 12.1 Konqueror File Manager opens in wrong directory

James Knott
In reply to this post by Sven Burmeister
Sven Burmeister wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 17. November 2011, 16:32:20 schrieb James Knott:
>    
>> I do not restore sessions.  Also, even if Konqueror is left in my home
>> directory, it will reopen in Documents the next time.  It even opened
>> there the first time I opened it on a new install.
>>      
> Did you try to save the file manager profile with the new path? AFAIK it's in
> konqueror's settings menu.
>
> Sven
>    

Yes, I tried saving the profile.  The only thing I see resembling a path
is the "Home page".  There does not appear to be any comparable setting
for file manager mode.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 12.1 Konqueror File Manager opens in wrong directory

James Knott
In reply to this post by Will Stephenson-2
Will Stephenson wrote:

> On Thursday 17 Nov 2011 15:55:03 James Knott wrote:
>    
>> Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
>>      
>>> On 11/17/2011 01:16 PM, James Knott pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
>>>        
>>>> In openSUSE 12.1 KDE desktop, I use Konqueror instead of Dolphin for
>>>> the
>>>> file manager. However, for some reason it opens in ~/Documents, rather
>>>> than in ~. Dophin opens in the correct subdirectory. Is there any way
>>>> to
>>>> change Konqueror to open in the correct subdirectory?
>>>>
>>>> tnx jk
>>>>          
>>> Settings-->Configure Konq-->General Tab
>>>
>>> Set home page to where-ever-you-want
>>>        
>> Actually, that doesn't work.  Also, home page should only apply to web
>> browser mode and not file manager.
>>      
> It does (nowadays, if memory serves it was shared a long time ago).  The
> default directory in file manageer mode is saved along with the File
> Management view profile.
>
> To change it:
> Set up your tabs/view splits/sidebars and go to the the directories you like
> to start from (or just set the directory on the default single view to KISS),
> and then go to Settings->Configure View Profiles..., make sure 'Save URLs in
> profile is checked, select File Management, click Save.
>    

I have opened my home directory.

> You can see what's happening under the bonnet in
> ~/.kde4/share/apps/konqueror/profiles/filemanagement.  The curious
> gobbledigook in the State= entry is an ascii serialization of the state of the
> various splitters, toolbars and sidebars you can have in a mainwindow.  And I
> notice you could customise the toolbar per view profile - another konqi
> feature i didn't know about.
>
> Will
>
>    
That save url is already selected and the profile has been saved (again)
but it still opens up in Documents.


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 12.1 Konqueror File Manager opens in wrong directory

Ken Schneider - openSUSE
In reply to this post by James Knott
On 11/17/2011 03:55 PM, James Knott pecked at the keyboard and wrote:

> Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
>> On 11/17/2011 01:16 PM, James Knott pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
>>> In openSUSE 12.1 KDE desktop, I use Konqueror instead of Dolphin for the
>>> file manager. However, for some reason it opens in ~/Documents, rather
>>> than in ~. Dophin opens in the correct subdirectory. Is there any way to
>>> change Konqueror to open in the correct subdirectory?
>>>
>>> tnx jk
>>>
>>
>> Settings-->Configure Konq-->General Tab
>>
>> Set home page to where-ever-you-want
>>
>
> Actually, that doesn't work. Also, home page should only apply to web
> browser mode and not file manager.
>

It works for me and who says "it should only apply to browser mode"?

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 12.1 Konqueror File Manager opens in wrong directory

James Knott
Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:

> On 11/17/2011 03:55 PM, James Knott pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
>> Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
>>> On 11/17/2011 01:16 PM, James Knott pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
>>>> In openSUSE 12.1 KDE desktop, I use Konqueror instead of Dolphin
>>>> for the
>>>> file manager. However, for some reason it opens in ~/Documents, rather
>>>> than in ~. Dophin opens in the correct subdirectory. Is there any
>>>> way to
>>>> change Konqueror to open in the correct subdirectory?
>>>>
>>>> tnx jk
>>>>
>>>
>>> Settings-->Configure Konq-->General Tab
>>>
>>> Set home page to where-ever-you-want
>>>
>>
>> Actually, that doesn't work. Also, home page should only apply to web
>> browser mode and not file manager.
>>
>
> It works for me and who says "it should only apply to browser mode"?
>

I have typed in the home directory into the home directory box.  I have
used the "Select folder" icon to select the home directory.  I have
saved that setting and then also saved the file manager profile and
despite all that, it still opens in ~/Documents.  This also happened in
the two release candidates of 12.1.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 12.1 Konqueror File Manager opens in wrong directory

Patrick Shanahan-2
In reply to this post by James Knott
* James Knott <[hidden email]> [01-01-70 12:34]:
> In openSUSE 12.1 KDE desktop, I use Konqueror instead of Dolphin for
> the file manager.  However, for some reason it opens in ~/Documents,
> rather than in ~.  Dophin opens in the correct subdirectory.  Is
> there any way to change Konqueror to open in the correct
> subdirectory?

Odd, mine starts in /home/<user>
and I haven't changed anything in the profiles.
  konqueror --profile filemanagement
open in /home/<user>
 
--
(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA      HOG # US1244711
http://wahoo.no-ip.org        Photo Album: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2
http://en.opensuse.org                           openSUSE Community Member
Registered Linux User #207535                    @ http://linuxcounter.net
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 12.1 Konqueror File Manager opens in wrong directory

scott-268
In reply to this post by James Knott
On Thursday, November 17, 2011 16:50:31 James Knott wrote:

> Sven Burmeister wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, 17. November 2011, 16:32:20 schrieb James
Knott:
> >> I do not restore sessions.  Also, even if Konqueror is left
> >> in my home directory, it will reopen in Documents the next
> >> time.  It even opened there the first time I opened it on
> >> a new install.
> >
> > Did you try to save the file manager profile with the new
> > path? AFAIK it's in konqueror's settings menu.
> >
> > Sven

> Yes, I tried saving the profile.  The only thing I see
> resembling a path is the "Home page".  There does not appear
> to be any comparable setting for file manager mode.

james--

i can't help wondering how you are starting konq -- are you
using a menu selection, F2 lancher, desktop widget, or some
other method?  those widgets can have some unexpected
properties...

sc
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 12.1 Konqueror File Manager opens in wrong directory

James Knott
sc wrote:
> i can't help wondering how you are starting konq -- are you
> using a menu selection, F2 lancher, desktop widget, or some
> other method?  those widgets can have some unexpected
> properties...
>    

In Personal Settings, I set my default file manager to Konqueror.  This
caused the widget on the bar to change to Konqueor.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 12.1 Konqueror File Manager opens in wrong directory

scott-268
On Thursday, November 17, 2011 19:02:16 James Knott wrote:

> sc wrote:
> > i can't help wondering how you are starting konq -- are you
> > using a menu selection, F2 lancher, desktop widget, or some
> > other method?  those widgets can have some unexpected
> > properties...

> In Personal Settings, I set my default file manager to
> Konqueror.  This caused the widget on the bar to change to
> Konqueor.

hmmm -- "widget on the bar" -- can you see properties if you
right click on the widget?

sc
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 12.1 Konqueror File Manager opens in wrong directory

James Knott
sc wrote:
>> In Personal Settings, I set my default file manager to
>> >  Konqueror.  This caused the widget on the bar to change to
>> >  Konqueor.
>>      
> hmmm -- "widget on the bar" -- can you see properties if you
> right click on the widget?
>
>    

No.  Only options "Remove this launcher" and "Task manager settings".

Also, I create a test user and Konqueror still opens in ~/Directory, so
this isn't caused by something in my user configuration.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 12.1 Konqueror File Manager opens in wrong directory

Rich Coe
In reply to this post by James Knott
On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 13:16:00 -0500
James Knott <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In openSUSE 12.1 KDE desktop, I use Konqueror instead of Dolphin for the
> file manager.  However, for some reason it opens in ~/Documents, rather
> than in ~.  Dophin opens in the correct subdirectory.  Is there any way
> to change Konqueror to open in the correct subdirectory?
>
> tnx jk

It's because something in the KDE window manager startup switches the current
working directory to ~/Documents.  Everything started under the KDE window
manager then starts in ~/Documents as their current working directory.

I currently work-around the problem with starting initial programs in
my .xinitrc, but you shouldn't have to do this.

It wasn't always this way.  I forget which KDE release forced this 'feature'
into existence.  It hasn't bugged me enough to open a bug or track it down.

You should open a bug on it ...

--
Rich Coe     [hidden email]
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 12.1 Konqueror File Manager opens in wrong directory

James Knott
Rich Coe wrote:
> It wasn't always this way.  I forget which KDE release forced this 'feature'
> into existence.  It hasn't bugged me enough to open a bug or track it down.
>
> You should open a bug on it ...
>
>    

Actually, I did.  #728648
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 12.1 Konqueror File Manager opens in wrong directory

Rich Coe
On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 22:06:12 -0500
James Knott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rich Coe wrote:
> > It wasn't always this way.  I forget which KDE release forced this 'feature'
> > into existence.  It hasn't bugged me enough to open a bug or track it down.
> >
> > You should open a bug on it ...
> >
> >    
>
> Actually, I did.  #728648
> --

kdeinit4 starts all procs with the $HOME/Documents directory by default.

If you go to 'Personal Settings'-> Account Details -> Paths
and change 'Documents path' to your home dir, all programs started by kde
will be started in your home dir instead of Documents.

Now when I changed it, programs started by ALT-F2 correctly start in the
home dir.

Rich
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 12.1 Konqueror File Manager opens in wrong directory

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Rich Coe <[hidden email]> [11-18-11 01:12]:

>
> kdeinit4 starts all procs with the $HOME/Documents directory by default.
>
> If you go to 'Personal Settings'-> Account Details -> Paths
> and change 'Documents path' to your home dir, all programs started by kde
> will be started in your home dir instead of Documents.
>
> Now when I changed it, programs started by ALT-F2 correctly start in the
> home dir.
>

on my 12.1 test machine updated from b1 -> rc1 -> rc2 -> gold
systemsettings has documents path set to ~/Documents and
"konqueror --profile filemanager" starts in /home/<user>/

--
(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA      HOG # US1244711
http://wahoo.no-ip.org        Photo Album: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2
http://en.opensuse.org                           openSUSE Community Member
Registered Linux User #207535                    @ http://linuxcounter.net
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

12