11.1 install question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

11.1 install question

Mark Hounschell
I've done a clean install of 11.1.  I selected kde 3.5 instead of kde 4.x. At
the logon I have gdm not kdm.
I login and I have a gnome Desktop, not a kde desktop? I changed the display
manager in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
from gdm to kdm the ran SuSEconfig. Then I rebooted. I got kdm but still have a
gnome desktop.

What is the trick to doing a clean install and having kde 3.5 as my desktop with
NO gnome?

Thanks
Mark
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 11.1 install question

M Harris-2
On Wednesday 11 February 2009 15:19, Mark Hounschell wrote:
> What is the trick to doing a clean install and having kde 3.5 as my desktop
> with NO gnome?
        HELLO>!!!   are you KDE4 boys out there listening... ??


        ... what is the trick to having KDE3, no gnome, ... and a clean install ?

        WHAT DOES THAT T E L L  Y  O   U   ?    (probably nothing)


        Maybe KDE4 isn't ready.  Maybe folks don't like KDE4. Maybe KDE4 development
needs to kick some booty and get that thing fixed...   I don't know... been
wrong before...  

PS.   I'm a KDE3 fan who is not happy with KDE4.   :|




--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 11.1 install question

Mark Hounschell
M Harris wrote:

> On Wednesday 11 February 2009 15:19, Mark Hounschell wrote:
>> What is the trick to doing a clean install and having kde 3.5 as my desktop
>> with NO gnome?
> HELLO>!!!   are you KDE4 boys out there listening... ??
>
>
> ... what is the trick to having KDE3, no gnome, ... and a clean install ?
>
> WHAT DOES THAT T E L L  Y  O   U   ?    (probably nothing)
>
>
> Maybe KDE4 isn't ready.  Maybe folks don't like KDE4. Maybe KDE4 development
> needs to kick some booty and get that thing fixed...   I don't know... been
> wrong before...  
>
> PS.   I'm a KDE3 fan who is not happy with KDE4.   :|
>

For anyone that can actually help with my inquiry, I really just want to know
the trick. My intent is not to fire up anyone on this KDE3 vs KDE4 subject.
The install gave me a choice. I made it. I got something else. Thats all there
is to it. How do I get what I choose??

Thanks and Regards
Mark
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 11.1 install question

borepstein
In reply to this post by Mark Hounschell
On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Mark Hounschell <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> I've done a clean install of 11.1.  I selected kde 3.5 instead of kde 4.x. At
> the logon I have gdm not kdm.
> I login and I have a gnome Desktop, not a kde desktop? I changed the display
> manager in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
> from gdm to kdm the ran SuSEconfig. Then I rebooted. I got kdm but still have a
> gnome desktop.
>
> What is the trick to doing a clean install and having kde 3.5 as my desktop with
> NO gnome?
>
> Thanks
> Mark
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Mark,

Is there a way to select the session type on your KDE3 login screen?
(If it's there it would be in the lower left corner of your screen.)

Boris.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 11.1 install question

rschwedler
In reply to this post by Mark Hounschell
On Wednesday 11 February 2009 03:41:07 pm Mark Hounschell wrote:

> M Harris wrote:
> > On Wednesday 11 February 2009 15:19, Mark Hounschell wrote:
> >> What is the trick to doing a clean install and having kde 3.5 as my
> >> desktop with NO gnome?
> >
> > HELLO>!!!   are you KDE4 boys out there listening... ??
> >
> >
> > ... what is the trick to having KDE3, no gnome, ... and a clean install
> > ?
> >
> > WHAT DOES THAT T E L L  Y  O   U   ?    (probably nothing)
> >
> >
> > Maybe KDE4 isn't ready.  Maybe folks don't like KDE4. Maybe KDE4
> > development needs to kick some booty and get that thing fixed...   I
> > don't know... been wrong before...
> >
> > PS.   I'm a KDE3 fan who is not happy with KDE4.   :|
>
> For anyone that can actually help with my inquiry, I really just want to
> know the trick. My intent is not to fire up anyone on this KDE3 vs KDE4
> subject. The install gave me a choice. I made it. I got something else.
> Thats all there is to it. How do I get what I choose??
>
> Thanks and Regards
> Mark

Why not just add kde3 and delete kde4?
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 11.1 install question

Mark Hounschell
In reply to this post by borepstein
Boris Epstein wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Mark Hounschell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've done a clean install of 11.1.  I selected kde 3.5 instead of kde 4.x. At
>> the logon I have gdm not kdm.
>> I login and I have a gnome Desktop, not a kde desktop? I changed the display
>> manager in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
>> from gdm to kdm the ran SuSEconfig. Then I rebooted. I got kdm but still have a
>> gnome desktop.
>>
>> What is the trick to doing a clean install and having kde 3.5 as my desktop with
>> NO gnome?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Mark
>> --
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
> Mark,
>
> Is there a way to select the session type on your KDE3 login screen?
> (If it's there it would be in the lower left corner of your screen.)
>
> Boris.
>

Hey, it's almost too dim to see, but yes it's there and works. It's
been a long time since I had to click that button.

Thanks
Mark
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 11.1 install question

Patrick Shanahan-2
In reply to this post by Mark Hounschell
* Mark Hounschell <[hidden email]> [02-11-09 16:21]:
> I've done a clean install of 11.1.  I selected kde 3.5 instead of kde 4.x. At
> the logon I have gdm not kdm.
> I login and I have a gnome Desktop, not a kde desktop? I changed the display
> manager in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
> from gdm to kdm the ran SuSEconfig. Then I rebooted. I got kdm but still have a
> gnome desktop.
>
> What is the trick to doing a clean install and having kde 3.5 as my desktop with
> NO gnome?

It has been suggested (I cannot cite the source) that doing a
*minimal* install, ie: text mode, and then applying the package groups
you wish can achieve this.  For some reason all reports here of doing
one-step complete system installs fails to provide *only* the packages
one wishes or intends.  Probably relates somehow to the package groups.

Note that I have not installed ll.1, but read the list.  :^)

gud luk,
--
Patrick Shanahan         Plainfield, Indiana, USA        HOG # US1244711
http://wahoo.no-ip.org     Photo Album:  http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2
Registered Linux User #207535                    @ http://counter.li.org
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 11.1 install question

David C. Rankin
In reply to this post by Mark Hounschell
Mark Hounschell wrote:

> I've done a clean install of 11.1.  I selected kde 3.5 instead of kde 4.x. At
> the logon I have gdm not kdm.
> I login and I have a gnome Desktop, not a kde desktop? I changed the display
> manager in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
> from gdm to kdm the ran SuSEconfig. Then I rebooted. I got kdm but still have a
> gnome desktop.
>
> What is the trick to doing a clean install and having kde 3.5 as my desktop with
> NO gnome?
>
> Thanks
> Mark

Answer: UNKNOWN

        I installed 11.1 carefully selecting kde 3.5 and logged on for the first time
and I was starring at the kde4 desktop. Others have reported similar to your
experience.

        After my experience, I can't remember if I just selected kde3 from the kdm menu
or changed the startx script from /usr/bin/startkde to /opt/kde3/bin/startkde

        I think you can simple use yast to remove gdm and install kdm if it isn't
installed already. Then, someone else will have to chime in on where the setting
is in /etc/sysconfig or /etc/X11


--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC
510 Ochiltree Street
Nacogdoches, Texas 75961
Telephone: (936) 715-9333
Facsimile: (936) 715-9339
www.rankinlawfirm.com
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 11.1 install question

M Harris-2
In reply to this post by Mark Hounschell
On Wednesday 11 February 2009 15:41, Mark Hounschell wrote:
> For anyone that can actually help with my inquiry, I really just want to
> know the trick. My intent is not to fire up anyone on this KDE3 vs KDE4
> subject. The install gave me a choice. I made it. I got something else.
> Thats all there is to it. How do I get what I choose??
        For a clean install, no gnome, and KDE3 please install opensuse 10.0/

        I have it running on 14 systems... works great...


        (ever tried KUbuntu?)


        (sorry, somebody will answer soon... I'm just blowing off steam... been a
long day already)





--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 11.1 install question

Allen Zhu
In reply to this post by David C. Rankin
On 2/11/09, David C. Rankin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mark Hounschell wrote:
> > I've done a clean install of 11.1.  I selected kde 3.5 instead of kde 4.x. At
> > the logon I have gdm not kdm.
> > I login and I have a gnome Desktop, not a kde desktop? I changed the display
> > manager in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
> > from gdm to kdm the ran SuSEconfig. Then I rebooted. I got kdm but still have a
> > gnome desktop.
> >
> > What is the trick to doing a clean install and having kde 3.5 as my desktop with
> > NO gnome?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Mark
>
> Answer: UNKNOWN
>
>        I installed 11.1 carefully selecting kde 3.5 and logged on for the first time
> and I was starring at the kde4 desktop. Others have reported similar to your
> experience.
>
>        After my experience, I can't remember if I just selected kde3 from the kdm menu
> or changed the startx script from /usr/bin/startkde to /opt/kde3/bin/startkde
>
>        I think you can simple use yast to remove gdm and install kdm if it isn't
> installed already. Then, someone else will have to chime in on where the setting
> is in /etc/sysconfig or /etc/X11
>
>
> --
> David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
> Rankin Law Firm, PLLC
> 510 Ochiltree Street
> Nacogdoches, Texas 75961
> Telephone: (936) 715-9333
> Facsimile: (936) 715-9339
> www.rankinlawfirm.com
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>


Strange bug huh?

Anyways, will people stop getting fired up over which KDE Version is
better? Both have their pos and cons; this thread is to help Mark, not
to argue over which version...

If you want, I can start a thread like that and you can see the
results - 30+ emails per day...

Allen

Registered Linux User 484485 (http://counter.li.org/)
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 11.1 install question

Rajko M.
In reply to this post by Mark Hounschell
On Wednesday 11 February 2009 03:19:09 pm Mark Hounschell wrote:

> I've done a clean install of 11.1.  I selected kde 3.5 instead of kde 4.x.
> At the logon I have gdm not kdm.
> I login and I have a gnome Desktop, not a kde desktop? I changed the
> display manager in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
> from gdm to kdm the ran SuSEconfig. Then I rebooted. I got kdm but still
> have a gnome desktop.
>
> What is the trick to doing a clean install and having kde 3.5 as my desktop
> with NO gnome?
>
> Thanks
> Mark

I selected KDE3 during installation, ie. initially I did not touch package
selection, and it installed KDE3 with kdm as login manager.

Maybe it installed some KDE4 and GNOME applications, or better to say GTk,
like Firefox and GIMP, but it was KDE3 desktop. Later I added KDE4 and few
more applications CLI, KDE3/4, GNOME, which ended in almost all of GNOME
installed (including defunct Metacity), so I can't say for sure what was
there from "foreign" applications, but for sure there was no mess with login
manager and default desktop as some people are reporting.

IMHO, dependency issues are problem.
I had trouble to get rid of evolution data server. It seems that every other
GNOME package needs it ;-)
I don't use Evolution, but I don't mind if it is installed, and removal was
just a exercise, how to remove something that shouldn't be installed in a
first place.

--
Regards, Rajko
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 11.1 install question

Mike McMullin
In reply to this post by David C. Rankin
On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 15:52 -0600, David C. Rankin wrote:

> Mark Hounschell wrote:
> > I've done a clean install of 11.1.  I selected kde 3.5 instead of kde 4.x. At
> > the logon I have gdm not kdm.
> > I login and I have a gnome Desktop, not a kde desktop? I changed the display
> > manager in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
> > from gdm to kdm the ran SuSEconfig. Then I rebooted. I got kdm but still have a
> > gnome desktop.
> >
> > What is the trick to doing a clean install and having kde 3.5 as my desktop with
> > NO gnome?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Mark
>
> Answer: UNKNOWN
>
> I installed 11.1 carefully selecting kde 3.5 and logged on for the first time
> and I was starring at the kde4 desktop. Others have reported similar to your
> experience.
>
> After my experience, I can't remember if I just selected kde3 from the kdm menu
> or changed the startx script from /usr/bin/startkde to /opt/kde3/bin/startkde
>
> I think you can simple use yast to remove gdm and install kdm if it isn't
> installed already. Then, someone else will have to chime in on where the setting
> is in /etc/sysconfig or /etc/X11

  From what I have experienced doing a few 11.1 installs, there is a
good bit of KDE4 included in even the minimum KDE3 install.  I have
found that the failsafe desktop looks more like KDE4 than it does KDE3,
and a kdesu konqueror produces the DKE4 Konqueor not the KDE3 Konqueror.
YMMV.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 11.1 install question

Felix Miata
In reply to this post by Mark Hounschell
On 2009/02/11 16:19 (GMT-0500) Mark Hounschell composed:

> I've done a clean install of 11.1.  I selected kde 3.5 instead of kde 4.x. At
> the logon I have gdm not kdm.
> I login and I have a gnome Desktop, not a kde desktop? I changed the display
> manager in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
> from gdm to kdm the ran SuSEconfig. Then I rebooted. I got kdm but still have a
> gnome desktop.
>
> What is the trick to doing a clean install and having kde 3.5 as my desktop with
> NO gnome?

I don't know if it ever got resolved. It never happened to me, but
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2009-01/msg02336.html starts the thread
where probably most here first heard of it. I asked for KDE3 and got it:
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2009-01/msg02418.html
--
"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your
mouths, but only what is helpful for building
others up." Ephesians 4:29 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 11.1 install question

jdd@dodin.org
> What is the trick to doing a clean install and having kde 3.5 as my desktop with
> NO gnome?

it's probably not possible to acheive with openSUSE. Installing kde3
gives also some kde4 and gnome apps and library.

I installed a new openSUSE 11.1 yestaerday and asked for kde3.5 on the
install menu.

I noted then that on start *no default desktop* was selected on the
kdm screen (the half visible bottom left menu), and if one starts, by
default, the the system launch kde4

The bug is probably there: not setting the default start to kde3.5

of course after clicking on the kde3.5 checkbox, I have kde3.5...

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-eic8MSSfM
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1412160445

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 11.1 install question

David C. Rankin
In reply to this post by Allen Zhu
Allen Zhu wrote:

> On 2/11/09, David C. Rankin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Mark Hounschell wrote:
>>> I've done a clean install of 11.1.  I selected kde 3.5 instead of kde 4.x. At
>>> the logon I have gdm not kdm.
>>> I login and I have a gnome Desktop, not a kde desktop? I changed the display
>>> manager in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
>>> from gdm to kdm the ran SuSEconfig. Then I rebooted. I got kdm but still have a
>>> gnome desktop.
>>>
>>> What is the trick to doing a clean install and having kde 3.5 as my desktop with
>>> NO gnome?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Mark
>> Answer: UNKNOWN
>>
>>        I installed 11.1 carefully selecting kde 3.5 and logged on for the first time
>> and I was starring at the kde4 desktop. Others have reported similar to your
>> experience.
>>
>>        After my experience, I can't remember if I just selected kde3 from the kdm menu
>> or changed the startx script from /usr/bin/startkde to /opt/kde3/bin/startkde
>>
>>        I think you can simple use yast to remove gdm and install kdm if it isn't
>> installed already. Then, someone else will have to chime in on where the setting
>> is in /etc/sysconfig or /etc/X11
>>
>
>
> Strange bug huh?
>
> Anyways, will people stop getting fired up over which KDE Version is
> better? Both have their pos and cons; this thread is to help Mark, not
> to argue over which version...
>
> If you want, I can start a thread like that and you can see the
> results - 30+ emails per day...
>
> Allen
>
> Registered Linux User 484485 (http://counter.li.org/)
>

Allen,

        Will you please *read* back through the post and point out where any
comparison has been made between the merits, or lack thereof, between kde4 or kde3?

        I read your response and was left thinking, WTF is this guy talking about?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC
510 Ochiltree Street
Nacogdoches, Texas 75961
Telephone: (936) 715-9333
Facsimile: (936) 715-9339
www.rankinlawfirm.com
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 11.1 install question

David C. Rankin
In reply to this post by Felix Miata
Felix Miata wrote:

> On 2009/02/11 16:19 (GMT-0500) Mark Hounschell composed:
>
>> I've done a clean install of 11.1.  I selected kde 3.5 instead of kde 4.x. At
>> the logon I have gdm not kdm.
>> I login and I have a gnome Desktop, not a kde desktop? I changed the display
>> manager in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
>> from gdm to kdm the ran SuSEconfig. Then I rebooted. I got kdm but still have a
>> gnome desktop.
>>
>> What is the trick to doing a clean install and having kde 3.5 as my desktop with
>> NO gnome?
>
> I don't know if it ever got resolved. It never happened to me, but
> http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2009-01/msg02336.html starts the thread
> where probably most here first heard of it. I asked for KDE3 and got it:
> http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2009-01/msg02418.html

Oh Yes,

        I remember those threads. That was back when Randall didn't know what he was
doing ;-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC
510 Ochiltree Street
Nacogdoches, Texas 75961
Telephone: (936) 715-9333
Facsimile: (936) 715-9339
www.rankinlawfirm.com
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 11.1 install question

Randall Schulz
On Wednesday February 11 2009, David C. Rankin wrote:

> ...
>
> > I don't know if it ever got resolved. It never happened to me, but
> > http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2009-01/msg02336.html starts the
> > thread where probably most here first heard of it. I asked for KDE3
> > and got it:
> > http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2009-01/msg02418.html
>
> Oh Yes,
>
> I remember those threads. That was back when Randall didn't know
> what he was doing ;-)

Don't you start...


> --
> David C. Rankin


RRS
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]