100% X CPU usage in recent TW, seems touchpad-related

100% X CPU usage in recent TW, seems touchpad-related

Hadrien Grasland
Hi all,

If I try to upgrade my laptop (Gigabyte P35X), which currently runs
20171211, to any recent Tumbleweed snapshot (at least since 20171223, I
don't know if it was there before), X goes spinning at 100% CPU usage
and my X11 log becomes full of "(EE) ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: Read
error 9". The touchpad otherwise seems to work normally, but the fan
noise and battery drain are obviously unwelcome.

Do you have any tips on how to narrow this down to a precise component /
update and send appropriate bug reports upstream? I did not see anything
in the snapshot announcements that I could obviously relate to Elantech
touchpads or the way X11 handles them, aside from some bugfix libinput
updates in 20171213 and 20171220. But the Linux UI stack is very complex
and there were quite a lot of updates in the 20171211-20171223 period,
so I may have missed something important.

Cheers,
Hadrien

Re: 100% X CPU usage in recent TW, seems touchpad-related

Knurpht-openSUSE
Op woensdag 10 januari 2018 08:45:36 CET schreef Hadrien Grasland:

> Hi all,
>
> If I try to upgrade my laptop (Gigabyte P35X), which currently runs
> 20171211, to any recent Tumbleweed snapshot (at least since 20171223, I
> don't know if it was there before), X goes spinning at 100% CPU usage
> and my X11 log becomes full of "(EE) ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: Read
> error 9". The touchpad otherwise seems to work normally, but the fan
> noise and battery drain are obviously unwelcome.
>
> Do you have any tips on how to narrow this down to a precise component /
> update and send appropriate bug reports upstream? I did not see anything
> in the snapshot announcements that I could obviously relate to Elantech
> touchpads or the way X11 handles them, aside from some bugfix libinput
> updates in 20171213 and 20171220. But the Linux UI stack is very complex
> and there were quite a lot of updates in the 20171211-20171223 period,
> so I may have missed something important.
>
> Cheers,
> Hadrien
Exactly how are you performing the upgrade ??
Nothing related? How about kernel-updates ??

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Forums Team

Le 10/01/2018 à 13:24, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink a écrit :

> Op woensdag 10 januari 2018 08:45:36 CET schreef Hadrien Grasland:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> If I try to upgrade my laptop (Gigabyte P35X), which currently runs
>> 20171211, to any recent Tumbleweed snapshot (at least since 20171223, I
>> don't know if it was there before), X goes spinning at 100% CPU usage
>> and my X11 log becomes full of "(EE) ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: Read
>> error 9". The touchpad otherwise seems to work normally, but the fan
>> noise and battery drain are obviously unwelcome.
>>
>> Do you have any tips on how to narrow this down to a precise component /
>> update and send appropriate bug reports upstream? I did not see anything
>> in the snapshot announcements that I could obviously relate to Elantech
>> touchpads or the way X11 handles them, aside from some bugfix libinput
>> updates in 20171213 and 20171220. But the Linux UI stack is very complex
>> and there were quite a lot of updates in the 20171211-20171223 period,
>> so I may have missed something important.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Hadrien
> Exactly how are you performing the upgrade ??
> Nothing related? How about kernel-updates ??

I am performing upgrades via "zypper dup"

I tried to look again more carefully for suspicious updates in the
period of interest. Indeed, I missed a couple of things in my first
investigation, including some kernel updates.

To my uninformed eye, here are the updates from that 20171211 ->
20171223 period that I could imagine being potentially involved in a
touchpad bug, erring on the side of false positives:

  * dbus: 1.10.20 -> 1.12.2 (20171215)
  * fwupd 1.0.0 -> [unversioned] (20171220) -> 1.0.2 (20171222) ->
    [unversioned] (20171223)
  * glibc patches (20171216)
  * kernel: 4.14.4 -> 4.14.5 (20171214) -> 4.14.6 (20171215) -> 4.14.8
    (20171223)
  * kernel-firmware: 20171125 -> 20171204 (20171212)
  * libinput: 1.9.2 -> 1.9.3 (20171213) -> 1.9.4 (20171220)

I did not find any particularly suspicious changelog in any of these
updates, but AFAIK libinput is where the modern drivers for synaptics
touchpads are located and there were quite a lot of kernel patches in
the USB stack (which is, AFAIK, how the touchpad is internally connected
in that laptop), so I think these two are the biggest suspects at this
point in time.

Any tips for narrowing down the cause further? For example, is there a
way to install older Tumbleweed snapshots, instead of merely updating to
the latest one? It would help bisect the issue in this kind of situation.

Op woensdag 10 januari 2018 14:51:07 CET schreef Hadrien Grasland:

> Le 10/01/2018 à 13:24, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink a écrit :
> > Op woensdag 10 januari 2018 08:45:36 CET schreef Hadrien Grasland:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> If I try to upgrade my laptop (Gigabyte P35X), which currently runs
> >> 20171211, to any recent Tumbleweed snapshot (at least since 20171223, I
> >> don't know if it was there before), X goes spinning at 100% CPU usage
> >> and my X11 log becomes full of "(EE) ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad: Read
> >> error 9". The touchpad otherwise seems to work normally, but the fan
> >> noise and battery drain are obviously unwelcome.
> >>
> >> Do you have any tips on how to narrow this down to a precise component /
> >> update and send appropriate bug reports upstream? I did not see anything
> >> in the snapshot announcements that I could obviously relate to Elantech
> >> touchpads or the way X11 handles them, aside from some bugfix libinput
> >> updates in 20171213 and 20171220. But the Linux UI stack is very complex
> >> and there were quite a lot of updates in the 20171211-20171223 period,
> >> so I may have missed something important.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Hadrien
> >
> > Exactly how are you performing the upgrade ??
> > Nothing related? How about kernel-updates ??
>
> I am performing upgrades via "zypper dup"
>
> I tried to look again more carefully for suspicious updates in the
> period of interest. Indeed, I missed a couple of things in my first
> investigation, including some kernel updates.
>
> To my uninformed eye, here are the updates from that 20171211 ->
> 20171223 period that I could imagine being potentially involved in a
> touchpad bug, erring on the side of false positives:
>
>   * dbus: 1.10.20 -> 1.12.2 (20171215)
>   * fwupd 1.0.0 -> [unversioned] (20171220) -> 1.0.2 (20171222) ->
>     [unversioned] (20171223)
>   * glibc patches (20171216)
>   * kernel: 4.14.4 -> 4.14.5 (20171214) -> 4.14.6 (20171215) -> 4.14.8
>     (20171223)
>   * kernel-firmware: 20171125 -> 20171204 (20171212)
>   * libinput: 1.9.2 -> 1.9.3 (20171213) -> 1.9.4 (20171220)
>
> I did not find any particularly suspicious changelog in any of these
> updates, but AFAIK libinput is where the modern drivers for synaptics
> touchpads are located and there were quite a lot of kernel patches in
> the USB stack (which is, AFAIK, how the touchpad is internally connected
> in that laptop), so I think these two are the biggest suspects at this
> point in time.
>
> Any tips for narrowing down the cause further? For example, is there a
> way to install older Tumbleweed snapshots, instead of merely updating to
> the latest one? It would help bisect the issue in this kind of situation.
>
> Cheers,
> Hadrien
If you use btrfs you should be able to boot in previous snapshots. It is not
possible to install older TW snapshots. That would require copies of the repos
on every snapshots, which would come at huge costs.

Le 10/01/2018 à 15:02, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink a écrit :

> Op woensdag 10 januari 2018 14:51:07 CET schreef Hadrien Grasland:

>>> Exactly how are you performing the upgrade ??
>>> Nothing related? How about kernel-updates ??
>> I am performing upgrades via "zypper dup"
>>
>> I tried to look again more carefully for suspicious updates in the
>> period of interest. Indeed, I missed a couple of things in my first
>> investigation, including some kernel updates.
>>
>> To my uninformed eye, here are the updates from that 20171211 ->
>> 20171223 period that I could imagine being potentially involved in a
>> touchpad bug, erring on the side of false positives:
>>
>>    * dbus: 1.10.20 -> 1.12.2 (20171215)
>>    * fwupd 1.0.0 -> [unversioned] (20171220) -> 1.0.2 (20171222) ->
>>      [unversioned] (20171223)
>>    * glibc patches (20171216)
>>    * kernel: 4.14.4 -> 4.14.5 (20171214) -> 4.14.6 (20171215) -> 4.14.8
>>      (20171223)
>>    * kernel-firmware: 20171125 -> 20171204 (20171212)
>>    * libinput: 1.9.2 -> 1.9.3 (20171213) -> 1.9.4 (20171220)
>>
>> I did not find any particularly suspicious changelog in any of these
>> updates, but AFAIK libinput is where the modern drivers for synaptics
>> touchpads are located and there were quite a lot of kernel patches in
>> the USB stack (which is, AFAIK, how the touchpad is internally connected
>> in that laptop), so I think these two are the biggest suspects at this
>> point in time.
>>
>> Any tips for narrowing down the cause further? For example, is there a
>> way to install older Tumbleweed snapshots, instead of merely updating to
>> the latest one? It would help bisect the issue in this kind of situation.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Hadrien
> If you use btrfs you should be able to boot in previous snapshots. It is not
> possible to install older TW snapshots. That would require copies of the repos
> on every snapshots, which would come at huge costs.

Unfortunately, I have not installed the snapshots between 20171211 and
20171223 on this system. So I guess the above is as precise as I'll be
able to get :) Any other tip?

Re: 100% X CPU usage in recent TW, seems touchpad-related

Christian Boltz-5

Am Mittwoch, 10. Januar 2018, 15:02:21 CET schrieb Knurpht - Gertjan
Lettink:
> It is not possible to install older TW snapshots. That would require
> copies of the repos on every snapshots, which would come at huge
> costs.

Nothing is impossible ;-)

In fact, Jimmy Berry did exactly that - see
http://release-tools.opensuse.org/ for details. The article from
2017-11-22 should help to get started.

Note that I only read about this, but never used it - the software from
yesterday's snapshot is too old for me ;-)

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
Aussage eines Mathematikprofessors von mir: 'Die Informatiker, das sind
die, die dann am Bahnsteig stehen, und ihre Koffer zählen  -  0, 1, 2 -

Le 10/01/2018 à 18:03, Christian Boltz a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> Am Mittwoch, 10. Januar 2018, 15:02:21 CET schrieb Knurpht - Gertjan
> Lettink:
>> It is not possible to install older TW snapshots. That would require
>> copies of the repos on every snapshots, which would come at huge
>> costs.
> Nothing is impossible ;-)
>
> In fact, Jimmy Berry did exactly that - see
> http://release-tools.opensuse.org/ for details. The article from
> 2017-11-22 should help to get started.
>
> Note that I only read about this, but never used it - the software from
> yesterday's snapshot is too old for me ;-)
>

> Regards,
>
> Christian Boltz

Hi Christian,

I'm trying this out right now, and it does indeed seem to be the perfect
tool for bisecting exactly which snapshot is causing my touchpad issues :)

That being said, if it gets more popular, I do hope that someone with
lots of money or spare optical fibers will donate some better hosting to
Jimmy. For the purpose of downloading Tumbleweed's gigabyte-sized
snapshots, a downstream bandwidth of ~20 kB/s is downright painful...

Le 10/01/2018 à 21:26, Hadrien Grasland a écrit :

> Le 10/01/2018 à 18:03, Christian Boltz a écrit :
>> Hello,
>>
>> Am Mittwoch, 10. Januar 2018, 15:02:21 CET schrieb Knurpht - Gertjan
>> Lettink:
>>> It is not possible to install older TW snapshots. That would require
>>> copies of the repos on every snapshots, which would come at huge
>>> costs.
>> Nothing is impossible ;-)
>>
>> In fact, Jimmy Berry did exactly that - see
>> http://release-tools.opensuse.org/ for details. The article from
>> 2017-11-22 should help to get started.
>>
>> Note that I only read about this, but never used it - the software from
>> yesterday's snapshot is too old for me ;-)
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Christian Boltz
>
> Hi Christian,
>
> I'm trying this out right now, and it does indeed seem to be the
> perfect tool for bisecting exactly which snapshot is causing my
> touchpad issues :)
>
> That being said, if it gets more popular, I do hope that someone with
> lots of money or spare optical fibers will donate some better hosting
> to Jimmy. For the purpose of downloading Tumbleweed's gigabyte-sized
> snapshots, a downstream bandwidth of ~20 kB/s is downright painful...
>
> Cheers,
> Hadrien

Hi all,

Using Jimmy Berry's Tumbleweed snapshots, I managed to narrow down the
issue to the upgrade between the 20171220 and the 20171222 snapshot.
This is interesting since...

  * It is not the snapshot which I would have most expected to be faulty
    from the update logs that I found on opensuse-factory.
  * Its contents differ from the expectations which I had from the
    update logs that I found on the opensuse-factory archive.

I send you a copy of the zypper log associated with this problematic
upgrade, in case someone has a deeper insight than me on what
specifically could cause the problem in there. Right now, my top
candidate is the 4.14.6-1.6 to 4.14.6-1.8 kernel update (however minor
it may look), followed by various accessibility-related packages which
may possibly interact with X11's input handling in ways I am unaware of.

I will try to install these one by one later on, and see what happens....

Cheers,
Hadrien

20171220_to_20171222.log (31K) Download Attachment

Le 11/01/2018 à 08:55, Hadrien Grasland a écrit :

> Le 10/01/2018 à 21:26, Hadrien Grasland a écrit :
>> Le 10/01/2018 à 18:03, Christian Boltz a écrit :
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Am Mittwoch, 10. Januar 2018, 15:02:21 CET schrieb Knurpht - Gertjan
>>> Lettink:
>>> Nothing is impossible ;-)
>>>
>>> In fact, Jimmy Berry did exactly that - see
>>> http://release-tools.opensuse.org/ for details. The article from
>>> 2017-11-22 should help to get started.
>>>
>>> Note that I only read about this, but never used it - the software from
>>> yesterday's snapshot is too old for me ;-)
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Christian Boltz
>>
>> Hi Christian,
>>
>> I'm trying this out right now, and it does indeed seem to be the
>> perfect tool for bisecting exactly which snapshot is causing my
>> touchpad issues :)
>>
>> That being said, if it gets more popular, I do hope that someone with
>> lots of money or spare optical fibers will donate some better hosting
>> to Jimmy. For the purpose of downloading Tumbleweed's gigabyte-sized
>> snapshots, a downstream bandwidth of ~20 kB/s is downright painful...
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Hadrien
>>
> Hi all,
>
> Using Jimmy Berry's Tumbleweed snapshots, I managed to narrow down the
> issue to the upgrade between the 20171220 and the 20171222 snapshot.
> This is interesting since...
>
>  * It is not the snapshot which I would have most expected to be faulty
>    from the update logs that I found on opensuse-factory.
>  * Its contents differ from the expectations which I had from the
>    update logs that I found on the opensuse-factory archive.
>
> I send you a copy of the zypper log associated with this problematic
> upgrade, in case someone has a deeper insight than me on what
> specifically could cause the problem in there. Right now, my top
> candidate is the 4.14.6-1.6 to 4.14.6-1.8 kernel update (however minor
> it may look), followed by various accessibility-related packages which
> may possibly interact with X11's input handling in ways I am unaware of.
>
> I will try to install these one by one later on, and see what happens....
>
> Cheers,
> Hadrien

Hi all,

I investigated this a bit more yesterday, and reached a point where I
have a system which boots and works fine, but running dracut for any
reason (either manually or by installing a package which requires it
like device-mapper) breaks it.

This is unfortunate: so far, I assumed that zypper automatically ran
dracut whenever anything initrd-related changed, and it seems that this
is not the case after all. Now I'll need to rewind through my btrfs
snapshot history until I find the point in time where the the system
actually broke, and start over from there... Hopefully it's not too far
away in the past, and snapper has not garbage-collected it away yet.

Cheers,
Hadrien

Just found the source of my touchpad/X11 issues. Now what?

Hadrien Grasland
Le 12/01/2018 à 08:40, Hadrien Grasland a écrit :

> Le 11/01/2018 à 08:55, Hadrien Grasland a écrit :

>>> Hi Christian,
>>>
>>> I'm trying this out right now, and it does indeed seem to be the
>>> perfect tool for bisecting exactly which snapshot is causing my
>>> touchpad issues :)
>>>
>>> That being said, if it gets more popular, I do hope that someone
>>> with lots of money or spare optical fibers will donate some better
>>> hosting to Jimmy. For the purpose of downloading Tumbleweed's
>>> gigabyte-sized snapshots, a downstream bandwidth of ~20 kB/s is
>>> downright painful...
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Hadrien
>>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Using Jimmy Berry's Tumbleweed snapshots, I managed to narrow down
>> the issue to the upgrade between the 20171220 and the 20171222
>> snapshot. This is interesting since...
>>
>>  * It is not the snapshot which I would have most expected to be faulty
>>    from the update logs that I found on opensuse-factory.
>>  * Its contents differ from the expectations which I had from the
>>    update logs that I found on the opensuse-factory archive.
>>
>> I send you a copy of the zypper log associated with this problematic
>> upgrade, in case someone has a deeper insight than me on what
>> specifically could cause the problem in there. Right now, my top
>> candidate is the 4.14.6-1.6 to 4.14.6-1.8 kernel update (however
>> minor it may look), followed by various accessibility-related
>> packages which may possibly interact with X11's input handling in
>> ways I am unaware of.
>>
>> I will try to install these one by one later on, and see what
>> happens....
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Hadrien
>>
> Hi all,
>
> I investigated this a bit more yesterday, and reached a point where I
> have a system which boots and works fine, but running dracut for any
> reason (either manually or by installing a package which requires it
> like device-mapper) breaks it.
>
> This is unfortunate: so far, I assumed that zypper automatically ran
> dracut whenever anything initrd-related changed, and it seems that
> this is not the case after all. Now I'll need to rewind through my
> btrfs snapshot history until I find the point in time where the the
> system actually broke, and start over from there... Hopefully it's not
> too far away in the past, and snapper has not garbage-collected it
> away yet.
>
> Cheers,
> Hadrien

Hi all,

So, after further experiments, I narrowed all of my touchpad issues down
to a plymouth update (0.9.2 -> 0.9.3).

If I don't install the plymouth update, or if I disable plymouth after
installing the update (by adding "plymouth.enable=0" to the kernel
command line), my X process doesn't go crazy spinning on the CPU and
spamming the logs with touchpad driver errors. If I enable plymouth
again, my laptop's X server goes back into its former crazy state.

I'm happy with disabling plymouth as a temporary workaround, because it
allows me to keep my laptop up to date while the problem gets fixed. But
at the same time, I'm also completely lost: how can an update to
plymouth, a piece of software which afaik is only there to display fancy
splash screens at boot time, break handling of touchpads in X11? Could
perhaps something go wrong in the plymouth -> X11 display handover?
Where should I submit a bug report about this?

Cheers,
Hadrien

Re: Just found the source of my touchpad/X11 issues. Now what?

Christian Boltz-5
Hello,

Am Samstag, 13. Januar 2018, 20:58:53 CET schrieb Hadrien Grasland:
> But at the same time, I'm also completely lost: how can an
> update to plymouth, a piece of software which afaik is only there to
> display fancy splash screens at boot time, break handling of
> touchpads in X11? Could perhaps something go wrong in the plymouth ->
> X11 display handover? Where should I submit a bug report about this?

Following the good old "if you break it, you own both parts" rule,
report a bug against plymouth, and CC the X11 maintainer.

-> assignee qzhao AT suse.com and CC sndirsch AT suse.com

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
[tgz Datei entpacken]           tar xzf <Archiv>
Für weitere Informationen lesen Sie bitte die Manpage oder Ihren Admin.

Le 13/01/2018 à 21:52, Christian Boltz a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> Am Samstag, 13. Januar 2018, 20:58:53 CET schrieb Hadrien Grasland:
>> But at the same time, I'm also completely lost: how can an
>> update to plymouth, a piece of software which afaik is only there to
>> display fancy splash screens at boot time, break handling of
>> touchpads in X11? Could perhaps something go wrong in the plymouth ->
>> X11 display handover? Where should I submit a bug report about this?
> Following the good old "if you break it, you own both parts" rule,
> report a bug against plymouth, and CC the X11 maintainer.
>
> -> assignee qzhao AT suse.com and CC sndirsch AT suse.com

Submitted @ https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1075885 , if
anyone wants to follow the remainder of this bug-hunting saga.

Thanks Gertjan and Christian for helping me diagnose this, and apologies
to the innocent bystanders who got too many e-mails about this issue!

On 2018-01-13 20:58, Hadrien Grasland wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> So, after further experiments, I narrowed all of my touchpad issues down
> to a plymouth update (0.9.2 -> 0.9.3).
>
> If I don't install the plymouth update, or if I disable plymouth after
> installing the update (by adding "plymouth.enable=0" to the kernel
> command line), my X process doesn't go crazy spinning on the CPU and
> spamming the logs with touchpad driver errors. If I enable plymouth
> again, my laptop's X server goes back into its former crazy state.
Wow!

I'm sorry to say that since about its appearance, thus years ago, I
routinely uninstall plymouth from all my systems. It has caused me and
others lots of troubles.